skin was nice and tight until I painted it -- help!

JohnAsa

I sewed on the skin, fairly tight, but not super tight, as I felt that my super-tight skin caused the frame to bend on a previous attempt.  When complete there were a few small wrinkles that came right out with heat.  Then I applied my first coat of Rust-Oleum with about 15% thinning.  The next morning the skin is all wavy!  I tried applying a little heat after the paint was fully dried.  the waviness disappeared for a bit, then came right back as the polyester cooled.

The waves are perpendicular to the keel running pretty much the length of the boat.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks all!

• 4 weeks later...

Update on this, although the skin is somewhat wavy, I want ahead and applied the remaining coats of paint.  Definitely not as taut as my FreeB, but still okay.

It does not appear to affect performance, and the look is fine from more than 10 feet away.  I'm happy enough with it.

• 2 months later...
On 2/19/2021 at 6:37 PM, jacobs said:

Just finishing lashing my Curlew frame together and wanting to order fabric.  What is the latest on the issues with the 9 oz. fabric relaxing after using Rustoleum paint?  It seems there is only 10 ft. of the 6 oz. fabric available on Kudzucraft's store so that doesn't look like an option for now.  Also, if anyone has used Spirit Line's 840 polyester or their 840 XTRA TUFF ballistic nylon, what have been the results?  Thanks.  

I just finished my Siskiwitbay SOF and used the 9oz uncoated polyester cloth I ordered from Kudzu. After making a test piece which I painted with 2 component polyurethane paint i decided to do the kayak with those paint. There were no issues in the test.

After the first layer there were no problems. But during the second layer the cloth did relax. It expanded in the longitudinal direction. I hoped that it would shrink again when dry but no.

The third layer made it worse. Between second and third layer I tried to heatshrink with the iron and that worked. When it was hot the wrinkels were gone but at cooling down they came again.
Before painting the kayak was drum tight.

I have the idee that the solvent is the problem but Jeff had no issues with his paint where he thinned the first layer.

It is pitty but I will have tot do with it. I chose this paint for its durabiliy. Next time I will use water based paint on 9 oz cloth.

Here are some pictures.

20210222_135050.jpg

20210222_135148.jpg

38SiskiwitbaySkinned.jpg

37 Gladgestreken.jpg

•  

I am stumped but I am hearing it more and more. Giving serious consideration to just dropping this fabric from the store. I don't like selling something people are having issues with.  Still don't now why it does it for some and not others.

Good news is I got the 6 oz. yesterday.  Beautiful fabric and still my favorite. It's just a lot more expensive.

I do have the option of bringing back the 11 oz fabric. too.  It is available.

2 hours ago, Kudzu said:

I am stumped but I am hearing it more and more. Giving serious consideration to just dropping this fabric from the store. I don't like selling something people are having issues with.  Still don't now why it does it for some and not others.

Good news is I got the 6 oz. yesterday.  Beautiful fabric and still my favorite. It's just a lot more expensive.

I do have the option of bringing back the 11 oz fabric. too.  It is available.

Yes good news for the next build, but this one? I am very disappointed in the outcome. I don't mean that its your foult. Good to not selling this fabric anymore.

What I don't understand is I sold if for a year or two with no issues. Skinned a couple of boats with it myself..
EDIT  Just looked and I have been selling this since 2018.

First time was someone tried coating with Coelan on a boat and it looked horrible. Worst wrinkles I have seen.  Had two people report this.

Then after a few months it started to happen with paint.  It worked fine and then the wrinkles started to show up.

No apparent pattern to this. I had assumed it was people sewing on the fabric loose and heat shrinking it tight.  When they applied the pain it would cause it relax but I am hearing from people that sew it tight and it happens. Question is why is is getting worse? What has changed?

I have added a warning to the description about this.  Because of the price I may continue to offer it.

Talking to my wife and she said something that makes sense. With all the strict rules on VOC's maybe there has been a change in the paint formulas. I think European countries are stricter than we are here in the US.  (Except for California. I am surprised humans passing gas has not be outlawed there). Something that we would not notice but is affecting the fabric.  It is the best idea I have hear yet.

I have not used water based in a long time. When I first tired it was so thick it would not soak in. Just sat on top of the fabric and eventually rubbed of and allowed water to 'seep' in. Way to soft for a heavily used boat. That has been a few years now and they may have improved them since then.  It may be the answer?

• 5 months later...

I had similar problem with my Long Shot. Dacron smoothed out very nice after heating, but waves came back after painting with Rustoleum Oil Base paint. Tried heating again and waves would disappear only to come back after it cooled. Some comments about thinning of the paint potentially causing the probIem. Not sure what was the cause but the paint can says to thin to a maximum of 5%. Boat looks and paddles okay, just disappointing it's not drum tight.