Deck beam question on Vardo

HBREW

I have search the forum regarding the termination of the deck beams under the combing on a laminated beam Vardo. I have seen them terminated at the beam, lashed at frame 8.2 and apparently left hanging. Please comment on what seems to be the best way to handle these.  Thanks

Very nice build. Thanks for the explanation and photos. I remember looking over your post and being very impressed.. My plans have the bow beam under the laminated beam rather than on top which would lower the front of the combing marginally. It looks to me that you have lashed the deck beams to the top of bracket 8'2".  Jeff has Combing Support Brackets to be located at 8'2" but I believe I read that the support bracket were for the plywood coming and were not necessary for the laminated ones somewhere in the forum. I have a Shad that I feel could use that extra support when entering and exiting which has a laminated combing so I feel it would be a nice addition if practical. I saw one build where it appears the deck beams may be lashed to the side of 8'2" which would pull the beams down a little more under the combing and probably have room for the supports which would probably work out. I do not want to over think this but  I do not want to find I have an issue after the skin is on. Thanks again for your help and any other comments would be appreciated.

Yes you are right, i have lashed them on top of bracket 8.2, (drilled a hole in the upper center of the bracket).

I didnt use the addition support brackets.

For the visual appearance, i think its very impotant to make those deck beams not to short. I saw some kayak where the deck beam ends bevor it leaves contact with the skin and then you get (IMHO) ugly bumps into the skin.

I think the bow of an laminatet beam/bracket can vary widely, so you have to decide from time to time if you want to go over or under that .

My intention was let that beams just extend enough to clear the skin past the laminated beam.  What I do is clamp the lower coaming ring in place then stretch a piece of fabric (old t-shirts work great) to determine where the beams fall.  I trim them so that they don't leave any ugly humps under the skin.

HBREWS solution seems to work out rather well.  Was not what I had in mind but it if looks good that is all that matters.

I ended up terminated the beams in front of 8'2" and drilling a hole in the beam end and bracket as shone on attachments. Once I secured the combing the ends laid up against and under the combing  and made a nice transition for the fabric. I can still tie the two together if I feel it necessary and still add the brace.  

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• 4 months later...

I have just finished the rest of the build and completed my first paddle. What I felt would be a problem while assembling the frame turned out to be one for me.  When I lock in on my other Kudzu SOFs (Short Shot and Shad), my knees push into the fabric next to the combing while on the Vardo they hit the beams. I've search the forum for solutions and perhaps missed my solution. I would like to keep my knees as high as possible (reason for the  Vardo build) as Shad put too much pressure on my back.  Thick foam may be the only solution other than cutting the beams back (not good or practical). Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Hbrew:

Regarding your knees hitting the deck beams, you can (obviously) modify the boat and/or (not as obviously) modify you. Try sitting on the floor while watching TV, instead of sitting in a chair. Try to keep your knees lower and your back straighter (sit tall). Gradually, you'll be able to sit that way longer and paddle stronger.

Fair winds!

That is why I sold my VARDO. I find it to big but lots of people like that.

But just pad it out with some mini-cell foam.  Lots of serious ocean paddlers that want a really snug fit do this to customize the fit, so it nothing new.  Try gluing it in place with 3m Super 77 glue.  I think that might work.