North Carolina Challenge 2020 is happening NOW

Alan Stewart

With the weather for Thurs looking ugly the already "virtual" event is opened up to starting early. One competitor has already begun. Clean Slate just entered Adams Creek at this writing. 830pm Tues. Challengers can opt to go through Adam's Creek instead of Harlowe Canal if they want to (because, 2020). This year to start your race you hit your SPOT OK message at the designated start coordinate anytime you want. That starts your official race time. 

I am racing in my Red Expedition Sailing Canoe or ESC (Escape). The same boat I raced in the 2016 UFC. The boat has been itching for another challenge ever since. I will be leaving early morning tomorrow Wednesday on my trip around. Follow the race using the challenge mapper here. There should be about 12-15 racers this here. Here is the roster. Note that I still show up as racing in the EC-22 but I changed to the sailing canoe last minute. 

I have my GOPRO camera and can hopefully get some good video during the race. Picture below from the finish of the UFC 2016. 1391364401_2016-03-23_(18-32-51)_Paul_pd3.jpg.8c329816b35e6480bcf480a3dd907dbc.jpg

• Like 1

Captured this photo from facebook. It looks like he is having breakfast with Dawn and Paul at a restaurant in Oriental. Alan looks perhaps a tiny bit tired.

I don't know how that is possible.  Alan just paddled sailed his ESC  around 100 miles in 24 hours or so?

123195767_10225543819961207_8912119985904826321_n.jpg.bd3ace4f809c25b0dd980632038e5a30.jpg

• Like 1

That is a super video. Thanks for taking it and putting the video together.

I don't think it is easy to make a craft that paddles well and sails well. You seem to have designed a nice balance that paid off. Not to mention the operator can also paddle as well as he sails.

You spoke of modifying the amas to create less rooster tail and drag at low speed. I  was wondering if it would work to make a temporary addition that would round off the stern of one ama. Then you could change tacks and see if you could detect a difference.

Chick,

That is not a mask! That blue face covering is called a buff. Outdoor adventure types have been wearing them for years.

A buff or some kind of full face covering is especially useful if you go from mostly indoor work to suddenly spending 24 hours out in the elements. Saves chapped lips and fried nose.

22 hours ago, Joe Anderson said:

Chick,

That is not a mask! That blue face covering is called a buff. Outdoor adventure types have been wearing them for years.

A buff or some kind of full face covering is especially useful if you go from mostly indoor work to suddenly spending 24 hours out in the elements. Saves chapped lips and fried nose.

Thanks Joe. I like my story better! Or maybe he's an outlaw!