Oz Core Sound 17 build

Gira Gira

G’day,

I’m John, I enjoy reading all your stories & thought I might chime in.

This is my core sound 17 I’m building in Australia.

I was attracted to the design by the cat ketch rig, capable seaworthy hull & potential performance.

I started In April & am about 300hrs into the build. I hope to launch before Xmas.  As well as the work on the hull & deck, the foils & masts have been completed.
As the build has progressed I’ve been more & more impressed with the R&D and attention to detail which has gone into the design.

I grew up in a sailing family and have raced performance sail boats most of my life. In recent years much of it solo ocean racing .
Anyway I’m in my mid fifties now & in the last couple of years have turned more to cruising. I hope to complete some challenging coastal passages in the new boat. 

Cheers John

49662F67-0F14-4724-A39D-1B0A8FF668D3.jpeg

E1A233DF-07A0-4887-8A28-DF85908CB06A.jpeg

DC5B3842-7F07-4AD9-B3F0-52CE40DA3EB4.jpeg

EC629BF4-2DDD-4B63-9295-41588D4096E5.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

11 minutes ago, Gira Gira said:

G’day, the last couple of weekends I have, undercoated the topsides, antifouled with copper powder epoxy mix and played around with aligning the masts. This weekend I hope to top coat the top sides, fit the gunwales and mast bases.

D7E81601-9328-4EF1-83A3-E77AAB3844D5.jpeg

6CB3FC65-048D-4262-9AA9-02D6CB37F438.jpeg

68011700-B603-4DF3-B11A-CDA321FE7608.jpeg

146DC46B-1BD5-4609-92B8-562E1652585F.jpeg

C39A2207-B159-4F94-90E0-53142DDCEA60.jpeg

CDCCC499-6970-429E-AD07-E4D48D7D7B7C.jpeg

My son called in after work and looks very happy with being roped in to helping with the boat.

• 3 weeks later...

John

Looks like your build is coming along well.  Have made some modifications to the stock design. Perhaps some with your plan for coastal cruising in mind. I wonder if you could walk us through a few of the highlights.  Am I seeing a foiled daggerboard slot? Are you going with the third step method for reefing? Also that looks like a large raised rear deck. Forgive me if I am mistakenly seeing things in the photos. Also I am only casually familiar with the CS17 but I admire the boat and think it fills a wonderful size niche not too small, not too big, just about right.

• 2 months later...

Hi Nick

I’m in Maianbar NSW.

Good to hear of another CS17 in Oz.

The original plan for this boat was to launch by Xmas & then head down your way & sail in the Tawe Nunnugah 2021. Well that didn’t happen...

I’m only a few weeks away from launching, picked the sails up yesterday and have mostly just the masts to rig and a few other things...

Maybe we can catch up some time, the plan is still to get to Tas & do some cruising.

John 

A0238293-9DB4-4108-8D7D-925ECB318D93.jpeg

9FCC10C7-DD53-4D48-898B-32AC015A39D1.jpeg

Joe Anderson

Sorry for being so late responding to your post, I missed it somehow.

You are right I have changed a few things from the plans.

The dagger board is the main one, this is why;

I already had a rudder blade off a Elliott 770 which was the right size for the CS17 centreboard so that saved building one.

This boat will be kept in the water at a jetty, the dagger board case will be easier to clean off the marine growth inside the case.

Where I sail the dagger board won’t be a problem.

I did consult with Alan & he very kindly sent images & dimensions for the centre of effort, to place the dagger board case.

The raised and extended aft seat;

This was mainly so I can hang an outboard motor off the back without needing a bracket or well.

The seat was extended forward to make storage for the fuel tank & a stern anchor underneath and get the weight of these further forward in the boat.

I put a part bulkhead in to support the centreboard case and filled the forward  seat in to create more storage and a sleeping platform.

I extended the forward mast tube above the foredeck and made a fibreglass boot on the main mast to go over the tube to help keep water out of  the mast tube (it also has a drain hole). This is again because this boat will be kept rigged on the water.

John

• Like 1