Tractor Enamel

Timothy Conway

One thing to keep in mind is that it has to flex as the skin flexes. I wonder if the adding a  harder would make it brittle and tend to crack?

Rustoleum you find in the big box stores works perfect. I have painted a lot of boats with it.  I have used tractor paint on some machines and it is durable. Just never tried it on fabric.

Any alkyd oil enamel will work well.  They stay a bit soft, (compared to 2 part paints)  but in this case that means flexible. Porch and deck oil enamel if you can get it is alkyd and major brands that carry it, can tint it to their chart. Rustoleum is great, but limited color choice.

17 hours ago, Timothy Conway said:

Thank you. I would like to try varnish but am waiting to try it on a scrap and see what it looks like. Thinking about paint as a.back up, just in case I don't like the way the varnish looks.  I should start skinning in a day or two. I am learning lots.

If by varnish you mean real varnish, then it is basically, clear oil based enamel.  Well, closely related, and has the same penetration and flexibility as enamel. In the old days they covered canoes and the decks of sailboats with canvas and painted them much the same way we do our kayaks. Fill the weave and coat the surface with waterproofness.