Any 17 ft Bay River Skiff photos around

Guest Mike C

I have never seen a Bay River Skiff 17 myself. After the success of the BRS 15 I started drawing the BRS 17 and didn't finish it as I was working on the CS17 at the time. Sometime later someone insisted that they had to have a BRS17, and feeling guilty about a half done job I put in the extra time and finished the plan for him. I have sold a few since then but have gotten no feedback from the builders. A couple of local fisherman built one each for power only. As they had no intention to sail them I modified the bottom giving them a flat run and the outboard sat in a well so that they could work their nets without fouling the prop.

I very rarely just scale a boat up, but this was one instance where I did. Knowing the 15, I had no doubts it would be a good boat. I realized it could take a little extra freeboard and beam in the larger size.

Mr. Designer, have a favor to ask of you. The boat you are describing with the well in it, would you e-mail me with the person and or location of it, that did that boat. I saw a picture of one that was light brown in finish. There is a reason for this request. Also, do you have any pictures of it finished.?Regards MIke

P.S. Shop is not completely glits but workable. Later

Guest Mike C

Do you have any photos of the one with the outboard well in it? I just sent you a check for the BRS 17 plans,Do you include the plans for the outboard well with the sailboat plans? I would love to have a copy of them if they are avaiable.

Thanks

Mike C

Mike,

I searched high and low for a pic of the BRS17 with a well and no luck. However I found one of the late Nelson Silva in his modified BRS 15. We called her the Bay River Runner, he got about 30 mph with a 20-25 hp outboard. He liked her so much that he made a mold and produced them in glass. We were also working together on an improved and enlarged version of a Simmons Sea Skiff, when he passed away.

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]

Has anyone put a 20-25 hp motor on a CS for use as a power launch? If the BR could do 30mph, could the CS? How about handling? I'm not talking about water skiing or anything, but rather bayou cruising/fishing. I guess the trailer would have to extend far enough under the hull to support the heavier motor.

Mr. Designer, do you still have the lines, or drawings for that boat, the 15 in the shot? And do you know what is the difference in that boat and the regular old fashon Core Sound mullet style boat?Thanks for trying to find the other one.

Travis, the standard BRS could not go that fast regardless of how much hp you put on it. The Bay River Runner was modified to make her a pure planing hull. The CS 17 would have to be modified likewise to to run 30 mph and then you would have to give up her good sailing qualities.

Hi Oyster,

Yes I do have the drawings for the Bay River Runner. It depends If your image of the Core Sound boats is the same as mine. I long felt that increased HP had encouraged them to make their transoms too wide and make them less seaworthy. I broached one in a following sea one time and was so annoyed with it that I went home and designed the BRS.

Mr. Designer, thanks for the response. There were several reasons for the widening of the stern. Bigger tiller motors and all the weight in the stern, played a big role in this. The boats planed better without the porposing in them. It surely created an adverse effect, though, in the sloppy following sea. Maybe, when I get the chance for a trip, I will look at what you have for a tiller motor boat for my wifes fishing addiction. Later,, Mike