Lapwing 16 Build

Murray

Haven't even looked at the project for the last 3 months Peter.  - well that's not quite true, I keep looking at the stem and I see it's not quite plumb. I should have glued up the lamination on a flat table rather than in situ. So I'm trying to decide how offended I am by the issue and if it's bad enough, what I'm going to do to correct it.  Probably time I reached a decision, and got on with it...

Been there, done that, Murray.  I know how discouraged you’re probably feeling right now, but listen— we are always the worst critics of our own work.  We get out those mental micrometers and spot all sorts of miniscule flaws in our work.  LET IT GO!  If I study your last photo very, very closely, I might detect a slight amount of what I’ll call “twist”.  But it is very slight.  Your boat is gorgeous.  She’s going to be a dream to sail.  I can’t wait to see her at the next Messabout.  

I’ll bet you that if I went out and checked my mast rake, that something will be off.  I have already looked at how parallel my masts were )or weren’t).  IT DOESN’T MATTER.  She sails like a dream.  

Don’t worry, be happy, mon.  You have a gorgeous boat.

I remember my first employer telling me "the art of a craftsman is being able to disguise or work around your screw-ups. 

I have been where you are more times than I want to remember.

I have not seen your problem but my instinct would be to trim some wood off one side and make it up on the other side with epoxy. A little adjustment with forward gunwales ends might be necessary. There may be some tweaking of paint edges.

While you may not be able to eliminate the visual effect completely, reducing it will make invisible to most folk.

"the art of a craftsman is being able to disguise or work around your screw-ups."  I remember Graham telling me this YEARS ago as I was building the first Princess 20 Sharpie. Valuable advice. Now I've become a master---'cause I screw up frequently! Things like---"I cut it off three times, and it's STILL too short!"

• 8 months later...

Well we have a centre case in now, very pleased that the pre-drilled hole for the centreboard is perfectly aligned on the two sides.

But even more pleased that after far too long looking at the stem, I went out and got a $100 laser level. It showed the issue - and thus the solution immediately. So I'll work on that and post the result shortly...

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Well the Stem is now looking good, so I ready do a little on the insides. I started with the stringers to support the seats attaching to the planking. I worried myself when trying to get the positioning right, but in the end found an easy solution; use the two fore and aft bulkheads and bridge across them with some battens which allow me to both put pressure against the stringer, and set the height. By screwing a small packer on the underside of each batten, and short of the batten length, I got a reasonable result. All the bulkheads have now been filleted and glass tape applied. Next the mizzen mast support, then I'll do three hot coats of resin before starting on the seats / thwarts. I've decided not to put the rather natty B&B designed hatches in - it will only ever be a day sailing boat, i think there will be plenty of storage for a day sail under the foredeck.

IMG_1786.jpeg

IMG_1787.jpeg

IMG_1789.jpeg

IMG_1868.jpeg

• Like 2

I disagree, regarding not having the hatches in a daysailor.  I keep everything on the boat, so when I want to sail, I don’t have to load anything.  I just go.

In my daysailor’s hatches I keep dock lines, my sheets, a jacket, a hat, water, snacks, my PFD, rain parka, VHF, horn, registration, batteries, tiller extension (when stored), sunscreen, etc.  Where are you gonna put all that stuff?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 2/11/2023 at 9:51 AM, Don Silsbe said:

I disagree, regarding not having the hatches in a daysailor.  I keep everything on the boat, so when I want to sail, I don’t have to load anything.  I just go.

In my daysailor’s hatches I keep dock lines, my sheets, a jacket, a hat, water, snacks, my PFD, rain parka, VHF, horn, registration, batteries, tiller extension (when stored), sunscreen, etc.  Where are you gonna put all that stuff?

Sail a Laser for longer than you care remember, they ain't got a lot of storage - but you make do - even with three back to back races well offshore...!  But I guess one hatch under the rear to go with one up forward will be useful. Easier to do now than later too.

There is a world of difference in how and what you do on a Lapwing, compared to a Laser.  Your Lapwing will be used for pleasure sails, perhaps with friends and family.  Having access to all those wonderful floatation/storage areas will allow you to take and store PFD’s, snacks, water, sunscreen, rain gear, etc.  I have a Bay River Skiff with two hatches.  I wish I had installed two more.  Once they’re in, they are a non-issue.  You’ve done such a fine job on a time consuming build.  Don’t rush to the finish line.  Take the time to fit her out well.

• Like 3

On 3/26/2023 at 11:31 PM, Don Silsbe said:

There is a world of difference in how and what you do on a Lapwing, compared to a Laser.  Your Lapwing will be used for pleasure sails, perhaps with friends and family.  Having access to all those wonderful floatation/storage areas will allow you to take and store PFD’s, snacks, water, sunscreen, rain gear, etc.  I have a Bay River Skiff with two hatches.  I wish I had installed two more.  Once they’re in, they are a non-issue.  You’ve done such a fine job on a time consuming build.  Don’t rush to the finish line.  Take the time to fit her out well.

@Don Silsbe you knew it was laziness..! OK - I'll ponder it a little more. Certainly a lot easier to do it now than later.

• Like 1