Looking for stability

mitchmellow

I'm starting the search for a tandem boat that my wife and I can paddle.  She is inexperienced and a "tippy" boat scares her.  She loves primary stability.  I want to stick with Jeff's Kudzu creations.  It appears that my choices are the 2n1, the Mayfly canoe and the tandem piroque.  On the website, the tandem piroque has a stability factor of 110.  The 2n1 has a stability factor of 126 when paddled tandem.  The Mayfly does not have a stability factor listed.  I am drawn to the 2n1 aesthetically.  

I'm seeking Jeff's and the collective's wisdom on the question of stability.  Specifically, which design would have the most wife assuring primary stabilty?  The boat will be paddled recreationally on calm waters in tandem but could also be used solo for fishing.

While there are rare couples that paddle well together, tandem boats are called "divorce boats" for good reason. Decades ago, I bought my first canoe from a woman who was recently divorced. He really liked boating. She did not. One of the joys of solo kayaking or canoeing is the feeling of controlling your own boat. And you can paddle along with other folks, each in their own boat.

Also remember that primary stability is just that. Secondary stability is what actually increases the probability of avoiding a swim.

Fair winds!

• Like 1

I appreciate the words Andy but she's asking.  All 3 boats that I mentioned can also be paddled solo.  And there are grandkids coming of age!  Plenty of reason for a tandem boat.  Recreational only and only short excursions in tandem use.  

I'm also well aware of the importance of secondary stability.  You're singing to the choir.  But I also want something that the inexperienced will be comfortable in.

I know that this boat is not what you're looking for, but for a comparison of stability factors, my Castaway is a 120 or so, and I can testify that it is rock solid. Like, you could possibly hold a square dance in the cockpit without getting wet.

I used to paddle a typical skinny boat, 18" at the waterline, but age and a nerve illness have robbed me of my sense of balance. The Castaway makes it possible for me comfortably paddle without a swimming session.

If stability is the primary concern then 2n1 is going to be the most stable and is very versatile.  If you are just looking to mess around on the water this would be my choice.

I just forgot to list the Stabity on Mayfly but I have it documented. Just need to dig up the spreadsheets and find it.

Thanks to Von for putting definition to the stability numbers and to Jeff for justifying my attraction to the 2n1.  Looks like a 2n1 is coming some time.  Maybe a start this winter if I can wrap up other projects and find room in the garage for the build without parking outdoors.  Winters can be a b***h in Minnesota.

Mitch -

I remember those winters all too well! The Jan/Feb -20° days are why we moved from Minnetonka to South Florida about 20 years ago. When we were doing the "snowbird" thing, I remember landing at MSP on May 1, in a snow storm, with piles of dirty snow all over the airport. That's when we sold the house and moved south permanently.

Von -  I spent two years in the pan handle of Florida while in the military ages ago and you can have the summers.  I also have to admit that winter tends to not be as radical as it was 20 years ago when you left.  Although some of those who live in the northern regions of the state probably wouldn't agree.  Snow for cross country skiing in central Minnesota has become much less dependable and winters seem much more variable.