OK, another measurement question

Guest capt jake

Guest capt jake

From the aft side of the mast, where should the center of the eyebolt in the gooseneck be? I will be using the PVC hoops and am wondering the best location for the eyebolt to produce even 'tension' on that (whatever it's called :) ) edge of the mainsail. :)

I am assuming it should be a little further aft than the hoops, by just a smidge?

Thanks!

(I know, Paul will call me the dummy again! :) )

jwentz4@attbi.com

Guest capt jake

Great, now Ray's gonna be harassing me too! :D

I am expecting the phone to ring any minute now.... To face the rath of the 'grim sailmaker' ! :D

Eeh gads! :D

jwentz4@attbi.com

Guest Ray Frechette jr

You're thinking too much Jake. If you build the gooseneck according to plans, the for aft placement of the eyebolt that fits down through the gooseneck eyebolts is fixed. Other than using spacers, you really can't alter it.

Easier to just build to spec and not worry about it. The mainsail is going to be lashed to the pvc rings so if you want you can alter the length of the lashings to suit.

refent@prodigy.net

Guest capt jake

The plans don't spec out the placement of the 2 pivot points.

Yes I am contemplating spacers, but don't know if they are necessary.

You are probably right, over thinking it. I have had to redo to many things in the past from both overthinking and underthinking, though. :)

jwentz4@attbi.com

Guest Ray Frechette jr

The two eyebolts that bolt through the mast have washers behind them to prevent them from being pulled into the mast. The vertical eyebolt that fits in the mast eyebolts fore aft placement is centered in the mast eyebolts with nuts and bushings.

The exact location of the drilled holes in the pipe piece will not affect fore aft placement of the vertical eyebolt.

refent@prodigy.net

Guest capt jake

True... Very true!

I just went and looked at it agian.. You are right, I am splitting hairs (as If I have any to split! )

Oh how to delete a thread?? Hmmmm

OK Paul, call me the dummy, Ray already has.. :D

NEVER MIND!

jwentz4@attbi.com

Guest capt jake

No offense taken! Sorry it sounded that way! I guess work is rubbing off here a bit, sorry!

But I still expect a call from Paul, if nothing more than to chastise me about all of the questions! :D

jwentz4@attbi.com

Guest Frank Hagan, Weekender, O

The luff of the mainsail has grommets in it. You'll tie the mainsail to the hoops using these grommets. The bottom grommet gets tied off to the eyebolt. You are probably no more than 1/2" to 1" aft of the edge of the mast hoop.

But this isn't critical. You will be tieing it off, so you can easily adjust the line length to tie it to the grommet.

There is a critical dimension to be considered at this point. The diameter of the mast hoop should not be any larger than the diameter of the mast PLUS 25%. If you get them larger, they tend to hang up easier, and look unsightly under sail (some angled up, some angled down ... which is how mine are, BTW :D ) Its not a BIG deal, but it does sometimes make them catch during hoisting.

fshagan@ev1.net

Guest Ray Frechette jr

Rather than the mast hoops I went with the wooden beaded car seat beads on a 3/32 stainless steel wire rigged into a ring with an oval sleeve crimp.

Parrell beads.

Looks much better than pvc pipe, goes up and down slick as a hot knife through butter. Cheap and quick too.

A great idea I owe Terry Crisp a debt of gratitude for.

refent@prodigy.net

Guest capt jake

But at the same time, you guys are confusing the hell out of me! Paul says hoops, you's says beads!

I have access to both (100 year old abacuss, sp Johanna?)! Maybe the beads? I did that with the Gaff.

jwentz4@attbi.com

Guest Ray Frechette jr

Well the beads look a whaloe lot better than PVC mast hoops and they go up and down right slick.

Of course Paul may a have a reason that hoops help with sail shape. I defer to him on that.

As for me, I like the look of my parrel beads.

refent@prodigy.net

Guest Johannah

How the heck would I know how to spell abacus? Isn't that an Arabic word anyway so in Roman letters it's the wrong alphabet and you can be creative. This isn't France and there is no "English Academy" to pronounce correctness. But we did use the abacus for a couple of years in elementary school as some sort of classic tool. But then our school must have been the last on the planet to use ink wells and scratch pens, no joke, and I am not old enough for all that by decades. Got caught in an educational time warp. But more to the point, why are you fretting so about the gooseneck measurements, Jake?

nanjojo@earthlink.net

Guest T. Nelson Surbrook

Hoops and beads are ok and they do work, but for me the best thing is lacing the sail with the back and forth method. John you are freting too much. Leave the frets on the necks of the gutars and just relax. Your boat will turn out fine and making adjustments to it as you finish is just part of the expeiance. In actuallity you will never be done with the boat. It is alwasy a work in progress.

tnelson@surbrook.org