Rough ride

Pat Mellema

I took sanddragon out to Muskegon lake today and went for a sail. The wind came up a little (25-35mph). We went out and the wind was about 15mph. We got out 2-3 miles in a short time as the wind was picking up the whole way. We had to drop the mainsail as we were running almost on the rail. we came back under jib alone in about 3 ft waves with whitecaps on them. It was quite an experience. I know that it was bad when all the big plastic boats were running on jib alone.we got back without incident but it was not real fun. This was on an inland lake not on one of the great lakes. I have been out on lake Michigan in these kinds of conditions but it was never fun. I have a couple of pictures but have not had time to download them yet they will follow when I have a chace to process them.

Hi Pat,

You sure do go to extremes of sailing. Maiden voyage, you didn't even have enough wind to get back to the docks under sail and now this. Ah well, at least you now know that the boat will get you back home when you get a nasty surprise from mother nature. I think I'd prefer to get a bit more experience with the boat before I requested weather like that though, if it was me ... not that I'd likely be asked for my opinion before the wind kicked up. ;)

These pictures are from when we dropped the main as the wind was comming up. The waves got a bunch higher as we were coming in and we were to busy to take pictures. My friend Will took some pics of me out in the marina where the sea was calm. We sailed right up to the ramp with no problems on jib alone. We walked around the point at the marina after we loaded the boat and the entire lake was white. I am glad that we came in when we did.

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]