Choosing between BJ24 and OB24

bowbert

This is my first post, and I humbly ask for some advice on designs...I've finally narrowed down my choices between the BJ and OB in 24'.  My home waters are the Great Lakes (mainly Lake Michigan) with planned trips to all the lakes at some point.  My wife and I plan to stay on the boat for several days at a time, splitting our time between transient slips and anchoring out.  The "dream trip" would be to trailer the boat to the Pacific Northwest and travel the Inside Passage.  The boat will live on the trailer in my shop, and will be rigged for salmon fishing the Great Lakes as well.

I am drawn to the low hp and speed requirements of these two boats, and have purchased the BJ24 plans.  I also love the looks of both.  My question , in your opinion, would the OB24 handle the open waters of Lake Michigan with more comfort than the BJ24.  I know they are both very capable designs, and just wonder which would better fit my SOR.  I have never seen these boats in person...

Thanks for offering your opinions,
Bret

Bret- Around 4 years ago I was trying to decide the same thing. It is a tough call. I ultimately decided to build the big sister to the OB24, the OB26. I have no experience with the BJ 24 but from all accounts is a wonderful boat. Rosie, my OB26 is in her second season in the Salish Sea and I couldn’t be happier with her. The design has exceeded expectations. We are planning on leaving in a week for Desolation Sound. We find ourselves out on her every chance we get.

That said, the BJ 24 would likely be a fine boat for your planned use. This is a personal choice, but the aesthetics of the OB series speaks to me a bit louder. I like the trunk cabin and the beautiful curves Graham has designed into her. Those line come with a price. The hull is a bit harder to build than a BJ would be. The framing and planking is more work but if you are building your own boat you are likely into it for some challenge.

There are a number of BJ owners that read this site and I am sure you can get some good input from them. If you have any questions I can help with regarding my OB26 experience, give a shout. I will be out of shouting distance starting next week during my planned 2 week +- trip. 

Here is a link to build pics if you are interested.

https://goo.gl/photos/42vU3BKQDsnMxbPp9

Cheers,

Ken

181C0A13-1B86-41A4-A291-97EFA4AAE266.jpeg

Thank you, Ken!

I did follow your build and have admired your work on Rosie.  That link is one of the reasons I've given the OB24 a serious look.  I also appreciate your feedback.  It is hard for an amateur to look at a design and know what it is capable of, and without being able to see one in person makes choosing extra difficult.

Enjoy your trip,

Bret