Spindrift Oar Length

Don Silsbe

The usual rule of thumb is 1.5x times the beam of the boat, so that there is twice as much oard outside the boat as there is inside.

So for a S12 that would be about 6'9"

(and checking the dimensions I've just noticed for the first time that the S12 is actually narrower than the S11! What's that about?)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Aphers said:

The usual rule of thumb is 1.5x times the beam of the boat, so that there is twice as much oard outside the boat as there is inside.

So for a S12 that would be about 6'9"

(and checking the dimensions I've just noticed for the first time that the S12 is actually narrower than the S11! What's that about?)

I just checked this. They are actually the same beam the S12 is basically a stretched S11. But in actual fact I am pretty sure (Graham correct me) the S12 came first. I corrected the beam dimensions. S12 is 4' 7" plus or minus a few plane strokes. 

475006871_S9-10-1112comparision.thumb.jpg.1fb592e9d9d83ad629e4a5a844204437.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chick Ludwig said:

Oar length can be a confusing topic. Also has to do with height above water, height of gunnel above seat, type of boat, style of rowing even. Heck, just use a motor!

One factor here is that I love rowing, and Chick hates it.

The question I should have posed y’all is:

When you’re out sailing your Spindrift, what do you take along for auxiliary power?  Oars? Paddle? 5hp outboard? (Chick’s choice.  LOL)

I use a paddle for getting away from the dock and such.  I use oars for auxilliary. All 3 store in the boat, handy, but out of the way.  Oh, and this is for a 15' 8" Lapwing. I am only 67, so I will be waiting to get an electric some time in the future.

I used a complicated formula for deciding on oar length. I find my oars are too long.  Had I used 1.5 or 1.6 times beam I think the length would have been just right.

I wonder what the formula would be for the 3rd deck oars of a trireme?