Spindrift 12 #1275 - trimming seats & interior glassed seams

J. Cote

First question: In the photo below are some blue lines at the seat tops. Some of my seat top overhangs (the lateral ones) are up to 9mm of overhang.   I was planning on making a router 1/4" radius on all the blue lines & then blending into those soft sweeping curves around the corners.  Is there a reason to keep any of these overhangs?   I suppose if I wanted to do a paint color change, a slight overhang would give me a clean paint line.

Second question: also in the photo, are 2 orange lines marking the vertical seams above the seats.  Should these seams be glassed?  What about the top of the seat where it joins with the front bulkhead the transom & the side hull?  Any glass required on the bow deck to the gunwales?

Thanks.

2120235496_seattrimming.thumb.jpeg.e73f0c35ef0df2d4ac9383f17fe348f5.jpeg

Jan,

There is no right or wrong answer to your question. You could flush trim every edge of the cockpit seating  or do as you described. I am responsible for the overhangs. I think  that the curves make the boat look better than the squared off look.

This is how I do it. Flush trim the sides where you have the blue tape. I cut a strip of 1/4" ply about 1 1/2" wide to clamp to the beams and aft bulkhead and trunk cleats to act as a spacer and guide for the ball bearing on the flush trim bit. This lets you quickly get a constant overhang. I blend the curves to the straight lines. I prefer to use a 3/8" roundover  bit for the sides as it is much more comfortable against your legs and seat than 1/4". I hand sand a small radius on the curves and blend the big to small radius starting with coarse sandpaper. 

There is no need to glass the aft orange tape joint as there is plenty of gluing surface created by the transom stiffener. The forward orange tape seam does need to be glass taped as well as the bottom to bulkhead joint between the mast step and the cockpit sides. You do not need to tape the cockpit sides to the forward bulkhead because they have a gluing cleat on the inside.

She is looking good.

Jan,

Usually the angle between the sides and the gunwale is a little more obtuse than a right angle. Roundover bits are designed for 90 degree corners so I do that roundover with a plane and sandpaper. If you can use the router , have at it. Yes I do like to have a generous radius there to make it comfortable for my back.

• Like 1