Questions on Low Volume Ravenswood

PNWSOF

Hi all,

My son is outgrowing his Tadpole, and I'm starting to think about his next boat. He paddled my Ravenswood last week and loved it, but he didn't weigh enough to get it down on its lines. I'm considering trying a low volume Ravenswood for him, but have some questions for Jeff and/or those of you who've built one. For starters, does it share any frames at all with the full-volume version? And is the coaming the same, or is it narrower on the low volume? I've got frame templates that I made when building my Ravenswood, and a buck for laminating the coaming. Those would make it much easier to build a second full-volume Ravenswood (after paying the second boat fee, of course) than if I had to start from scratch, though if the low-volume shares the same coaming or some frames, it's not as big a difference.

If anyone's built a low-volume for a kid, how long did it last them before a larger boat made sense? If he'd be better off in just a couple of years with a full-volume, it's tempting to go that route from the start. Adding some ballast would make him easier to catch anyway. ?

Thanks

One thing I forgot to address is the question about Low Volume.  Whether he out grows it will depend on his weight. While this is a smaller boat it is smaller all around. If he grows up to be a Linebacker he is not going to fit. If he stays on the slender size he could fit the rest of his life. This is not a child sized boat, just made with the lightweight person in mind.