Cradle free part#2

Build of hull#24

got a little further than I expected turning the boat myself so for now I can work the hull where she is ,  although it looks as if the hull is resting on the floor their is enough of a load taken by the come alongs to just keep the hull from swinging when I work. The use of the Japanese back saw worked great for cutting away the gear teeth on the chine cut them flush with the hull and pretty quickly so why not the trunk opening made several cuts with a small circular saw and then went in with the Japanese back saw this will take a little longer because every so often I have to stop a clean the blade it gets gummed up with the dabs of hot glue I used to tack things together.

mark

A3F0879D-339F-4D80-879F-D496F836EB7C.jpeg

48702D61-DDA5-4E79-B05E-2C62108390A9.jpeg

AAD79376-988F-4C4E-B420-480E20C86A0B.jpeg

2CDFC5C4-D5C5-4FF0-AAAC-52EDE2ED3EC6.jpeg

C2CFE0A3-1704-4799-A385-86AFBC9C2762.jpeg

Nice job Mark! I’m at the same stage along the build as you. There's however a significant difference comparing our builds in which I am vertically challenged in the build space (garage). The garage door will have to be in the opened or possibly disassembled and removed entirely to accommodate flipping the boat. Either way it’s turning into quite a challenge. The garage ceiling is drywall and I’ve located the joists I plan to lag bolt a 8’ 2x4 which runs athwartship the boat. I will attach through bolted hooks to the 2by which gets attached with block and tackle looped under the hull. I have several hands to assist but working out the mechanics in such a tight place is troublesome. More to follow with pictures. Any suggestions and recommendations are appreciated.

Hi Todd

I know iam lucky to have all the head room I need, I only kept the boat on her side one day to cut out the center board well, and trim the chine keys one the starboard side, the next day I did the rest of the flip using come alongs and ratchet straps.

Just take your time and think it out before you commit to the roll I did get the neighbors to come over and help out on the come alongs  And let me tell you it was a little scary you have a lot of time and money in it and one little error and it all fire wood so just take your time and have the beer afterwards and just think you get to do it again only it will be even heavier.

mark

My experience was very similar to Mark’s and like he said it was a little scary, at least the first time. But I realized I had very secure rigging and the boat is pretty tough so working with it on its side turned out well (with old towels on the floor for padding and well chocked). I don’t have as much headroom as appears in the photos but I have a chain hoist so no problem with lift capacity on one end and I borrowed my neighbor’s shop crane for the other. And that’s the reason for this reply: I am now a real believer in the flexibility of using a crane. I rigged it at the bow eye with a webbing sling to prevent gouges from chain and I could lift, lower, and move side to side with little effort and under the tracks of my 7-foot garage door.  So Todd, this is a testimonial for a crane if you are constrained for head space. Maybe a neighbor has one and you can just roll it down the street like I did. 

image.thumb.jpeg.279354aafe3390e18b8ea74a557f4938.jpeg

• Like 2