Any consensus on paint?

Blancadog

I've searched through the forum for information on paint. I've found several comments about paints that are apparently incompatible with Kudzu's current 8oz polyester, but no obvious solution. A broader web search came up with claims that paint issues with some other 8oz polyesters were due to too-thick coats. Are there any paints that are known good with the 8oz poly?

Thanks-

I have used Rustoleum without an issues. But the obvious answer is something I have harped and no one does.

First, SEW THE SKIN ON TIGHT. Do not depend on shrinking to pull it tight. All fabric will loosen some after being shrunk. It is called creep in the industry.  Use shrinkage to take out wrinkles or the odd mis-sewn spot. That is the proper way. If you make a mistake, back up and do it again.

Second TEST, TEST, TEST before applying any finish to you boat!!

Make a square frame out of scrap wood. Wrap some of the scrap fabric, shrink it and then paint it and see what happens. Your tests are 10 time more valuable than what some stranger says on the internet.

I have not be able to test this but I just about certain that 90% of the issues are what is called creep. It when fabric is shrunk and the relaxes back to its original size. Some of the fabric I used to get was really good about not doing this but the latest seems to be much worse.

I don't think putting paint on thick is the issue but paint is a thin film coating. It was never intended to be be a thick film.  There is nothing to be gained by gooping it on. It will eventually crack and flake off.

Some people talk about 'filling the weave' with paint but this is what you do  when coating fiberglass with epoxy. You put on enough to get a smooth finish.  Try to do this on a SOF is a pet peeve of mine. If you don't want your boat to look like it is covered in fabric, build it out of wood.

I haven't built a kayak in years, so I have no experience with the latest materials that Jeff sells.  The old adage is that oil based paints stick to and penetrate almost everything.  Latex does not. Oil based porch and deck enamel is virtually the same paint as rustoleum. If you can get it, and it seems many in the south have trouble, it can be mixed into any color using tints and gives you the choices Rustoleum does not. I have found no difference in how both Porch and Deck oil enamel and Rustoleum cover, penetrate, etc.. One of my kayaks uses both paints.

13 hours ago, Blancadog said:

To be clear, "Rustoleum" is nothing more than the oil-based "Rustoleum Protective Enamel" I see at my local hardware store, correct?

There are 6 oil based enamels made by Rustoleum.  But most hardware stores carry the "Protective Enamel", it is the cheapest, and it worked well for me.
https://www.google.com/search?q=rustoleum+oil+based+paint&sxsrf=ALeKk00LtosfwmvtcvTQ-YU9H7ayJh6R4g:1595959903132&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwji9ef4xfDqAhXvnuAKHQmODPgQsxh6BAgQECw&biw=1366&bih=663

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have not used latex in several years so it may have changed. But it did not soak into the skin, it was soft and scrapped off the fabric easily.  AI finally had to repaint that boat because it got to where it 'seeped' water so bad I had to pump it out every hour or so.

My son and I used latex acrylic enamel porch and floor paint for his Ravenswood LV a couple of years back. I forget if his undercoat was 2 or 3 thin layers of grey, but I know that he had one small leak from a thin spot when we launched it grey. Since he has added the top 2 layers of purple and white he has had no leaks and the paint has stayed in place very nicely.

The local hardware stores no longer carry oil-based paints other than rustoleum, so we have been going with the acrylic latex enamel because of the better color selection.