Short Shot #1 chine problem

Blancadog

Finished my short shot  frame, and was a little surprised when I turned it over. Between the last forward frame and the bow assembly, chine #1 makes a sharp inward bend, with a corresponding outward bow on the other side of the frame. I had assumed that chine #1 at the bow was treated like chine #1 at the stern, i.e. cut off a little ahead of the bow/stern assembly and lashed to the keel. That's evidently wrong, so how should the forward end of chine #1 be handled?

The picture is from the bow, looking aft.

Thanks-

IMG_20200726_172124885.jpg

What you did is correct. I can only assume that the wood is the issue. Grain, its direction, knots, etc can cause it to bend in strange ways. I think I ran into this on one boat I built but my memory isn't real clear on the details.

I cant enlarge the photo but looks like there is change in the grain on both stringers right at the frame? If so that could be the culprit. Any scarfs in the wood?

I  think I would start by cutting the front lashing and just seeing what happens. You may find you need to move the ends to a new position. If that helps stretch some t-shirt fabric over the frame to see how it looks. Might need to reshape the ends to get rid of high spots.

The more I think about this I ended up taking the stringers(s) out and swapping them end for end and it took the proper shape. It is frustrating at this point but if you want it right your going to need to do a little experimenting, possible replacing that stringer.

I have two Short Shots hanging in the garage and if I wasn't still stuck in the wheel chair I would go look at them and see what I did. Man I am so ready to be mobile again!

Jeff-

I cut that forward lashing and spent a little time playing with a straight edge and batten. I think a number of things are contributing. The effect is mostly symmetric, but the two stringers are not. The change in grain you noticed in the picture is a scarf in both stringers, but that's actually pretty far forward of the frame (looks much closer in the picture), so I don't think it contributes. I think there's a little grain weirdness in one side, and a substantial amount of optical illusion. Some areas that look completely crazy turn out to be fair curves or even straight. 

The only thing I found that made the stringers look definitely better was pulling them to the center but allowing them to float 1/2-3/4" above the keel. I may experiment a little with lashing them to a spacer block which in turn is lashed to the keel. On the other hand, that might be introducing worse problems than it fixes.

Long story short, since you've confirmed that I secured those stringers in the proper fashion, and the tee-shirt test didn't reveal anything bad, I'll re-lash the stringers and continue with all due speed. 

Thanks for your help-