Core Sound Mizzen Mast base ideas...

What has everyone done to stop the mizzen mast from popping up out of it's cup-like mast holder?

I guess the options are...

1. lots of downhall

2.a hole drilled through mast under thwart with a pin in it?

I have had my laser lose it's mast twice now. I am a slow learner... It has happened running downwind with no downhaul tension and the death rolls set in. Not that I am planning on capsizing the boat but... you never know.

Rob (on behalf of Eric)

I addressed that potential headache by build out of aluminum, and using an eighteen inch length of schedule 80 aluminum tubing welded at the floor and at the thwart!

Just kidding!

I wish I could help ya!

Happy Trails

Styge

Just last night I was musing about this. I built a mast cup like in the plans, and noticed that it might be a little rough sliding the mizzen through the thwart and actually hitting the cup. I am thinking I will build a mast tube for the mizzen, like the main. The tube will eliminate the guide the mast into the cup issue. Seems like it might make it more difficult for the mizzen to slip out of the cup as well.

I am planning on putting attaching the halyard, down haul, and snotter cleats to the mast, so there wont be much to hold the mast in the tube in a knock down or turtle situation. Right now that doesn't bother me much.