A Sam Devlin Duckling 14

Don Silsbe

It’s working!   But I’m gonna leave it alone.

Since I am not going to the messabout (because of COVID concerns), we went camping this week.  

I’ve already applied some fairing compound, as well as a little followup dab.  I’ll leave it alone this week, and do my final sanding on Friday or Saturday.  I could probably primer tomorrow, but my bride wanted to go camping, and who am I to say no?

I’ve been sanding, fairing, and sanding some more.  It all paid off today, because I applied my first coat of primer.  I tinted it with some red-orange pigment.  It looks like I’m making a Breast Cancer Awareness rowboat!  But the topcoat is safety orange. Honest it is.

078B0E4A-DEC5-4653-A610-F7330EAC3B9E.jpeg

1219A58C-B1F1-48AF-BC0A-6B1A3017FDB9.jpeg

1214FE88-49D6-4609-B7DD-1C6F7B50158B.jpeg

I have two coats in now, and am going to do two more.  Orange and yellow do not hide well, I find.  My BRS15 has two coats of yellow, and could have taken another coat.  On this one, I sanded through the primer in a few spots.  Those areas look dark after two coats.  It’s gonna take a couple more to make her look perfect.  I like this Devoe paint!

FD9ACE27-8C6A-42D9-A787-638DB9A3B042.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

The boat looks great, nicely built.  I like the color scheme and it seems like a lot more fun than working a rowing machine in a gym. 

Regarding video: I learned that I can upload video from my phone to a free YouTube account and then insert a link to it in a forum post. There is little delay in viewing the video. 

And, just to say it, what’s it all about, Alvie?

I took the boat over to Don Rausch’s today. He and I have been talking about building this boat for five or six years.  He has dementia now, as well as other assorted issues.  But we stood around the boAt and admired it.  Sorry I didn’t get one of him with the boat, but here we are.  (I’m on the left.). He is responsible for my boatbuilding addiction.  Taught me a lot.

423D9A86-658C-4E8A-A0AB-D5C9BDAA1633.jpeg

• 5 weeks later...

I’m doing to close this thread with an update and a photo.  I’ve been rowing Alvie for almost two months now.  I’m very happy with the way she rows.  This winter, I’ll make some 9.5’ oars, which is what she needs.  But she goes pretty well as she is.  The photo was taken on December 21, 2020.  I love rowing in the fog!

2DF89D4C-1458-473D-82C7-E6C6EC0DA856.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...