Variations on a theme-Toe Rails

Barry Pyeatt

There have been some questions about different variations on toe and rub rail configurations.

Here are a few based upon what I have seen on various Weekenders being built.

Maybe they will give some builders food for thought (other ideas). :lol:

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]

Looks good Barry, like Bob stated, you have way too much time on your hands!

But, since you put the images up there, you got me thinking....

I like the flush deck type, but not so flush.... I am thinking using a 1x2 or 1x3 on the outside and a T topper on top, so it is up a little off the deck.

Barry

I didn't like the idea of open edge of plywood so I ripped a cedar 2x4 into 1/4" strips and installed them on all therr sides covering the 1x2 rail on the outside and the plywood on the inside. I installed a thied peice over the top and rounded the corners off with a router. It turned out well and they are easily replacable when they get damaged.

This is what I did on my PC - I routed this profile into some lengths of Jarrah and then glued them on. Not ideal for a number of reasons stated by people in this forum, but it looks quite nice .... relatively easy too.

Heres what I did and what I might do. After I put the sides on and caulked the seam I painted the inner side of the side that extends over the deck and the top of the plywood black because I read on the forum about how the plywood's ends looks fairly unflattering. I riped ~1x2" boards from the board of Premium Oak that I got for the upper and lower rub rail. I could not find half-round in Oak at the store so I got something similar to quarter-round, only with a straight-away (name escapes me). The plywood still does not look pleasing there. It probably would look better without any seam on the top. I wouldn't have room for 2nd from the right design, at the deck-plywood joint at the forward bulkhead and mast box the sides barely extend half an inch above the deck, I'm not sure what is standard, but I think I would prefer the looks and strength of a big chunky toe-rail. The last diagram also might have its merits. When I went to Nantucket on 10th I took a short cruise on a freindship sloop and the rail was most like the last one only the sides wern't flush. I think a solid strip of wood on the top of the sides would look pretty nice. Here's a painting (all that I could find on the internet) of the sloop that I was on: http://www.paulgarnett.com/Nantucket/nantucket.html beautiful boat, all brightly varnished teak, the captain built it himself 20 years ago, I got a lot of ideas for future addons for my boat.

Very interesting solutions guys! I'll add them to my "variations on a theme" file.

Nice drawings too!

Tyler,

I think the Oak moulding is called a "shoe moulding". It is designed to sit on the floor next to a larger baseboard to trim it out. I don't see why it wouldn't be a good solution. Just remember that Oak has a tendency to grow and shrink along its length with seasonal changes. So it will likely work its way loose if you don't make elingated holes to allow it to move a little. Just oil the oak well and it will work. Hot Linseed oil works best to keep it from soaking up water. You can paint over it if you like after it has dried out for about a week or two.

I have a lady friend that has been on the Friendship Endeavor, she really enjoyed the experience. So much so, that she is now willing to consider going out in my little Weekender. 8)

Jake,

I don't know what sophisitcated types of software the others are using, but I use "Paint". Yep...no CAD system and Nope... they aren't to any scale. :roll: Heavens, I feel lucky if they get the idea across. :lol:

until I fix the computer in my room which runs linux(I finaly figured out it needs new memory), I am using microsoft paint to make drawings. As for the Oak I already have a few coats of spar varnish on them, probably not enough, would oil be a better choice? The Endevour is really beautiful, I raised the peak halyard, steered her and came about. The Captain was really a nice person, I asked him a few questions about topping lifts, topsails, and a boom jaw. I might incorporate some of these things eventualy on the weekender.

Thanks Phil,

I used to draw with crayons all the time. :lol: Once did a poster with crayons that won a design competition. Lots of fun!

I like your solution, it is simple, elegant and a good rail to grab onto. It would also allow the top portion that takes the beating to be replaced without a lot of hassle. The only challenge I see is bending on the flat with some woods. But the sweep is long enough that it shouldn't be all that difficult to accomplish.

Here is what I planning on doing with my rub rails. The lower rail will be laminated straight to the side of the boat. On the upper rail I will put blocks about every 12" or so, and than screw the upper rub rail to these blocks. This has a two fold purpose. First is will make replacing the upper rub rail easy, just unscrew it and screw a new one in place. Second it allow you to be able to secure a line at any point along the hull.

Chad