Back in the 21st century after Claudette!

Power came back at 2200 last night. We're back!!! Gonna take a few days to catch up and get pics and things. But by and large, we're doing and have been doing fine. Thank you Graham for posting for me. Hope this Danny leaves you guys alone.

The Alcoa plant just across the bay logged winds in the 110 mph range, so this was NOT a minimal Cat 1 storm. Ah well :lol:

No damage to any of our property from Claudette except that we need to renew the roof on our storage building, which already was a job in waiting.. Our county and several others surrounding ours have been declared a disaster area- lots of damage. I've seen corn fields that had been ready to harvest that were totally flattened and the stalks stripped of every thing but the stalk. And these were 50 miles inland :cry: Two of the trees in my front yard have NO leaves left on them.

Glad to hear from you Charlie! :D

110 mph (about 95 knots), wow, that would been the MAX of a cat 2. But the NWS is still calling it a cat 1. One more MPH and it would be a cat 3.

Glad you made it through with minimal damage. I guess insurance will pay for your roof now too.

As far as the trees. I would seek advice from a local greenhouse. Ask them if there is anything you can do to alliviate the shock to the trees. They were working fine one day, and suddenly they had no leaves... that is a shock. It is too far away for hybernation, so they need to grow new leaves. There is still a chance that you may loose the trees.

I would also check the house out VERY well, the smallest of damage could end up causing a nightmare!

Again, glad to hear from you!

Thanks Phil. The roof on the storage building was slated for renewal anyway, and we already have the new metal. We don't have enough damage to file a claim insurance wise.

The house is an A-Frame, which we built our selves, totally and completely. I'll go around and retighten the bolts on the A's, but it's in great shape. The only damage at all is two shingles gone at one edge and I have the shingles to replace them, so that's a 30 minute job.

As far as the trees, they are Chinese tallows- pretty damned resilient trees anyway, at least when you are TRYING to get rid of them, so we'll just keep 'em well watered and see what happens.

lol- Both Sharpies- the Princess and my CLC plus my Minipaw dinghy, were tucked into my shop in Victoria during the storm, along with all the small boats off the sail boat lot. I share a building with a sailboat dealer so we both had boats inside.

But the winds were down to, oh, say 80 mph by the time the storm got there. That's 50 miles inland. This sucker actually gained strength after coming ashore, as it was coming up Matagorda Bay.