Fixing a delaminating transom

robertnc28

Could you post a couple of photos. I don't think that marine plywood readily delaminates so I would want to know what the transom is constructed of.  Also some clue as to what caused the problem. I have used a syringe with a heavy guage needle to get epoxy into narrow areas but if there is an underlying problem the cure may not be that simple.

Your initial thought sounds right to me.  You might try putting the epoxy into a syringe applicator, which would help to get it down into the opening.  But epoxy plus screws should do it.  I'd thicken the epoxy with West 403 or 406 or comparable, to about like ketchup consistency.  Make sure everything inside is dry first, using heat gun or hair dryer if needed.  My thoughts.

I would

1. Clean the joint with a vibrating saw, thinnest blade,  to get what ever “nonboat “ stuff in the open joint out
2. Blow out the stuff with high pressure air hose (dry air)

3. Inject it with thin epoxy, let it soak a few minutes then inject some slightly thickened epoxy

4. Clamp it with lots of clamps,  without a lot of pressure, don’t want to squeeze the epoxy out.  Just eliminate any voids.
5. I think I wouldn’t use screws,  just my preference. 

it’s fixed....

• Like 1

I would add a step between 2 and 3 above.

2b. flush out with alcohol - this will absorb any moisture and clean out any oils and contaminants.

5. Screws and cured epoxy do not add strength to each other. That does not mean don't use them. Some times you need a clamping force in a place you cannot get a clamp. If I use a screw as part of installation I have no issue leaving them in provided I can bung them or fill in over them and then seal. Or just pull them after and fill the divet.

• Like 1