Windsurfing mast as sprit

jaxsailr

I hope everyone is finding the time to get out and enjoy their boats.

My sprits on my P22 are short and I need to lengthen them or make new ones.  I have some old 1 pice windsurfing mast laying arounf that I could use to make new ones.  Do you think they would work for the purpose?  To make them stiffer I may even add a layer of glass to them.

Thanks for the help

They may in fact work i.e. be strong enough but they are a totally different spar to the sprit. The sprit is in compression like a spinnaker pole. The maximum loads are in the middle when it is slightly deflected from a straight line which is how the ends can be tapered without weakening it. By comparison a windurfer mast is just like our freestanding masts and never in compression only bending so the tip normally sees almost no loads and the base sees the max loading (neglecting the booms). So it may work but one end will be extra fat for no reason. If you had a few you could cut the tops off and join them to make one that tapers out from the center in both directions that would make a pretty nice sprit.