SOF Frame Components

dcteague

Looking at different designs for SOF and see some Greenland replicas use 2 short supports that run from the masik to the fore/aft frames below the gunwales.  I've seen other designs that use a single stringer down the center fore/after to the ends of the kayak.  What is the structural value of either - are these primarily aesthetics?  Could you replace the 2 short ones for a single support with the same performance/function?

11 hours ago, dcteague said:

Traditionally-built Greenland boats typically have two longitudinal members (deck ridges) that run forward from the masik over several of the deck beams, which run athwartship. Some fuselage-frame boats have similar bits. But the two construction techniques are quite different and comparisons can be tricky.

There are a variety of arrangements among fuselage-frame kayaks including single and double deck ridges before and after the cockpit. Before the cockpit, they make room for knees. After the cockpit, they serve as (as Jeff calls them) fanny beams, to rest your fanny as you slide into or out of the boat. As far as structural implications, it's hard to say, but it's usually a good idea to build as the designer intends.

Fair winds

7 hours ago, andy00 said:

Traditionally-built Greenland boats typically have two longitudinal members (deck ridges) that run forward from the masik over several of the deck beams, which run athwartship. Some fuselage-frame boats have similar bits. But the two construction techniques are quite different and comparisons can be tricky.

There are a variety of arrangements among fuselage-frame kayaks including single and double deck ridges before and after the cockpit. Before the cockpit, they make room for knees. After the cockpit, they serve as (as Jeff calls them) fanny beams, to rest your fanny as you slide into or out of the boat. As far as structural implications, it's hard to say, but it's usually a good idea to build as the designer intends.

Fair winds

Thanks.  My struggle is in a design effort based on Greenland historical info and design, and attempting an anthropomorphically  approach for my personal body size/shape. I've seen designs that show the two variations I've mentioned, but I've yet to see any need for one or the other to make a kayak structurally sound.  Going back to all of the Greenland designs available in multiple sources this seems to be lacking in clarity.  My goal is to take a few different SOF designs that closely match my body/shape/size, and adapt it to a structural design that is aesthetically in line with my goals. Having 2 deck ridges fore/aft is counter to my goal - i'd prefer 1, but can't find info to suggest why that's a problem structurally. 

Intuitively, it seems to me that (in the case of a fuselage-frame boat with single chines) the five full-length longitudinal members (keel, two chines, and two gunwales), which are tied together with the stems, the frames, and the skin, provide almost all of the overall structural strength. Deck ridges are mostly for more localized purposes, such as providing a place to rest your fanny or room for your knees.

Have you checked out www.yostwerks.com? There are a number of designs there with various combinations of single deck ridges, double deck ridges, and no deck ridges.

Have fun

23 hours ago, andy00 said:

Intuitively, it seems to me that (in the case of a fuselage-frame boat with single chines) the five full-length longitudinal members (keel, two chines, and two gunwales), which are tied together with the stems, the frames, and the skin, provide almost all of the overall structural strength. Deck ridges are mostly for more localized purposes, such as providing a place to rest your fanny or room for your knees.

Have you checked out www.yostwerks.com? There are a number of designs there with various combinations of single deck ridges, double deck ridges, and no deck ridges.

Have fun

Thanks - will check it out.