Short Shot Bow/Gunwales

Blancadog

Hello world-

I'm building a Short Shot from plans, and have run into a dilemma. With all the frames, the keel, and the gunwales installed, the gunwales meet the bow assembly about 3/4" below the top edge of the bow (see photo). Most frame examples I've found on the forum show the gunwales flush with the top of the bow assembly. I can certainly make that happen by clamping the gunwales up (2nd photo), but then the bow assembly goes out of plumb- it tilts forward about 1/4" due to the stiffness of the gunwales. I don't see how I can get the gunwales flush with the bow, and keep the bow station vertical. So, I can either:

1. force the gunwales into alignment, and ignore the final position of the bow station, or

2. make the bow station vertical, and lash the gunwales into place where they naturally fall

I'm leaning towards choice #1: when I pull the gunwales into position, they wind up nicely parallel with the top of the bow, which makes me think it's hitting the actual design. The rocker is a little less than in choice #2, but I don't see any oilcanning along the keel. I think I'd lash the gunwales and all the chines to the bow frame, and pull the gunwales into position as the last step, which should keep the bow frame the most vertical as it fights against the downward force of the gunwale ends.

Everything else in the frame fits well and looks fair. At the stern, everything kind of popped into place, with the gunwales nearly flush with the top of the stern assembly, and the stern station vertical. 

Anyone have any suggestions or experience with a similar issue?

Thanks-

IMG_20200516_125507923.jpg

IMG_20200516_124432171.jpg