Vardo Fit

dcteague

I'm going to build a SOF and found the Kudzo site and purchased the Vardo, and am now wondering if maybe its the wrong one.  I'm 5'8", about 170lbs, and kayak periodically but not a lot.  I'm buying my wife a strip built I found and came across the SOF designs in the research and thought this might be a good companion kayak to have for us to go together.  We kayak locally in MA, and will spend most of our time on Moosehead lake in ME, which can be a bit rougher conditions than flat late/streams locally.  Anyone have any thoughts on this being a good option for touring and an occasional fishing kayak - was planning to build in a hatch for storage.

Also, I'm close enough to Boulter Plywood in MA, who has both baltic birch and good marine ply, as well as a range of other types of marine grade plys - Sapele, Merranti, teak, cherry, mahagony, foam core - I'd like to buy the lightest and hardiest type for this kayak and wanted to see if anyone had recommendations.  Given the size needed, the cost differences are so minimal I'm not concerned about an extra $100 on good quality ply.  

Edited by dcteague

Dear Bay Stater:

Consensus is that Baltic birch plywood is the best material for frames, although other types of plywood will work. BB is strong, stable, and it cuts clean, compared to other plywoods. I hope that other forum members will weight in on this.

Have fun!

12 hours ago, dcteague said:

Better than a traditional marine ply, Okoume?

I wouldn't call Okoume traditional, but it it the best plywood of all for boats.  The consensus here is that you don't need to spend that much money though.  This is particularly true in the US.  The Okoume will be lighter and as strong.

On 5/15/2020 at 8:49 AM, Hirilonde said:

I wouldn't call Okoume traditional, but it it the best plywood of all for boats.  The consensus here is that you don't need to spend that much money though.  This is particularly true in the US.  The Okoume will be lighter and as strong.

Thanks - the Okoume is only $10 more than the BB so guess I'll stick with the Okoume then since its lighter.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dcteague said:

Thanks - the Okoume is only $10 more than the BB so guess I'll stick with the Okoume then since its lighter.

Either you have a really good price on the Okoume, or a high price on the BB. Regardless, you won't regret your choice.

On 5/16/2020 at 5:44 PM, Hirilonde said:

Either you have a really good price on the Okoume, or a high price on the BB. Regardless, you won't regret your choice.

Its $105 a sheet of 4x8 and BB is $95.  Not sure how that compares to other sources.

On 5/16/2020 at 10:07 PM, Kudzu said:

This is exactly what the boat was designed for. 

Excellent - just waiting on the designs then.