Poco barta

racerx632

After I sewed the skin on my poco barta I shrank it with an iron.  The skin tightened enough that the chine and gunwale bent inward in spots creating a concave shape between some frames.  Anyone ever experience this?  Is it possible to loosen the skin a bit?  

My Poco Barta has been on hold for a year and a half now due to raising a new child. The kayak is in the skinning phase though. My western red cedar is Home depot fence picket that started at 0.55" instead of 0.625". I'm using the economy fabric. The gunwale deflection shown here is from the tension of the double corded stitch alone. I figured it was because of the cedar thickness and I'd adjust to the new look.

How much deflection are you getting?20190112_090539.thumb.jpg.9da27ec40ddf55ebd8f6cc1a4546f11d.jpg20200511_075118.thumb.jpg.17737642ff82236faea5f18dc3ffa34b.jpg

Curious phenomenon. I was trying to imagine if that could have occurred on my Ravenswood and it seemed unlikely. So I looked at the plans for Poco Barca in "Fuselage Frame Boats" and see that distance between the #2 frame and the #3 frame (the area of the unfair curve) is 26 inches. On the Ravenswood, those two frames are only 18 inches apart. That difference certainly could contribute to the reverse curve. Of course, the species of wood used for the stringers, the characteristics of the particular pieces, and their scantlings could also be factors. As to performance, the curve of the gunwale probably doesn't mean much, but the curve of the chine could affect the hydrodynamics, but not necessarily in a negative way. We'd need some towing tank tests to sort it out.

Fair winds

• 2 months later...