Spindrift 12 #1275 - foot hold while sailing

J. Cote

One thing I keep thinking about, so I'll just put it out there.

I don't see anything on the Spindrift to hook your toes under while sailing (when you want to lean out for ballast).  Granted, I won't be hanging my rump over like the young whippersnapper in the photo, but could I (or should I) attach a cleat of some sort at the top of the longitudinal bulkheads aft of the partial bulkheads for that purpose?

Now is the time to if I do....

Thoughts?

lean out.jpg

I pondered the same thing when I built my 11N, but I haven't missed a hiking strap yet. It may be because the Spindrift series has hard chines and keep buoyancy out pretty far so it's pretty stable. It also may be because I'm not as aggressive of a sailor as I used to be, more inclined to put a reef in that sit on the edge of the boat.

• Like 1

I wold be looking to install a set of simple hiking straps fore and aft int he cockit if you wanted to hike out. Most cockpit dinghies have them like a piece of 3" padded webbing to put your feet under. some have one on each side. Just need an anchor point fore and aft which could be an eye strap into the keel or vertical transom beam or on the fwd side of the bolts for the lower gudgeon and up forward it could just loop around the front of the daggerboard trunk with a small eye strap to keep it from riding up the front edge of the trunk. 

• Like 1

I adjusted an eyestrap to fit the bolts of the lower rudder gudgeon and fastened an eyestrap to the aft end of the trunk about 3" up from the bottom. I put grommets in some 2" webbing. I used some 1/8" cord to connect at each end and used the cord to adjust the tension to suit. 

• Like 1