Teardrop build sorry off topic

I included a picture of this in my KY lake topic, Oyster asked for more info so I figured I would start a separate post. Attached is a link to the  build album. Self designed 8ft long and 5ft wide. Built with and for my youngest daughter who is a traveling nurse who loves to see what our country has to offer.

Thanks,

Jim

teardrop build

IMG_20190823_151524.jpg

Such a well build cute little trailer!! Do you need to get it certified to use it on public roads in the US?
I wish i would be allowed to move a self build trailer in the public here in the EU…
I had to scale it up for my needs. Me as a 2 meter man i would get claustrophobic in that...?

Wow, what a nice project and workmanship.. I really like the colors and the built in facilities.  Hope your daughter stays say and enjoys herself too as she travels and works at the same time. I have a DIL that did that for a while before settling down with my son. An adventure while making great money, what more can you ask for in your youth.. Thanks a bunch for sharing.

WOW! I LOVE those little trailers! Unfortunately the wife doesn't. Made from plans?

Trailers need to be titles and licensed in the USA. Also safety inspected first and a serial number issued and stamped on the trailer tongue and axle.

I should have said that "in North Carolina"......

Laws vary state to state.

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words and I will pass everyone's well wishes to Meg.

Here in Ohio I had to register the actual trailer  (Northern Tool knock down trailer kit) and get a plate for it but they don't really care about what is on top of it.

Meg is 25 now, she has been a shop rat all of her life and I miss having her company since she has been on the road the last couple of years.

clean1.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice,  a “teardrop” style camper makes sense in so many ways!   In Mississippi I have built several trailers, just go to DMV, tell them the s/n you assigned to it (we use C/J 1, 2 We are up to C/J 5) get your plate and you are done.  You pay a small Road use tax but it is minimal. 

On 5/2/2020 at 3:22 PM, wasserboot said:

That sounds much easier to build an own trailer than here in Germany.
Here you need an expensive safety report from an engineer. You have to show him the build in different stages so he can inspect all important structures…

That’s the process here, if you’re building an airplane.  Not even automobiles require that sort of inspection here.

You are lucky ?
Unfortunately, the authorities do not want amateur build vehicles on the streets and set high safety criteria for street approval.
May be with a Kit it is a bit easier. Than only the manufacturer of the kit has to do that inspection process and the builder has to show the ready build trailer to the authorities…

Jim,

That is one sweet little  camper.  She's going to love it.  I built one a couple of years ago (cheated, though...made it from a kit) and it's been perfect for my wife and I.  We use it a lot.  We've had friends come to visit and opt for the teardrop, over sleeping indoors.  In Utah, unladen utility trailers less than 750 pounds aren't required to be licensed.  Campers are, of course.  I was stopped once and told the patrolman that it was just a common Harbor Freight utility trailer with a fancy plywood box on it that comes right off when I want to haul trash to the dump.  He just rolled his eyes and sent me on my way.

Carter

IMG_1487.JPG