Looking for KY lake local knowledge

Getting some cabin fever. My construction job suddenly shut down several weeks ago and selling residential remodels in this climate is less than fruitful. I've been to BEER cruise twice  and FL 120 once and toyed with the idea of running down to FL for the 120 coming up soon but have decided the distance from Cleveland is more than I want to deal with right now. I'm considering Kentucky Lake which looks to be under 600 miles from home and the current weather certainly beats Cleveland's 40's and never ending rain. Been making some minor repairs and touching up paint on the CS17 so I'm all dressed up with no place to go.

That being said any info on KY lake sailing  would be appreciated. Looks like the lake is open for business. Cant seem to find rules regarding primitive camping or boat camping. Any favorite areas to hit, any areas to avoid. Thinking of heading down the week of the 18th. My 35th wedding anniversary is the 17th so I'm guessing I should be home for that, although I've never been good at judging those kind of things .?

In case any one is interested this was my latest project built for my wandering daughter .

Thanks,

Jim

IMG_20190823_151524.jpg

That looks like a nice tear drop. Any more details on that one? Brent that used to be active on the forum and built and sailed several of B&B designs sailed extensively by himself on the lake. Maybe seek out his profile here and send him a private message. Maybe he is still available that way. Or maybe Graham has his number. I lost his regular email.

We used to sail, or motor down the Ohio river to Kentucky lake {250 miles} a few times a year on our Belhaven. We also trailered down there often thru out the year. Kentucky lake is a sailors dream for the Midwest. I have a Islander 28 at Kentucky dam marina now and use it as much as possible. We only sail Kentucky lake and not Barkley, Barkley is not to friendly for a 5 foot draft. But when I had the Belhaven I sailed Barkley sometimes just for a change. My Marina is open for fuel or pump outs ( you have to call ) their restrooms and showers are closed, and the store was still closed as of last weekend. Kentucky Dam Marina has a public ramp with a lot of parking maybe two hundred vehicle with trailer parking. Its a very friendly place. There is two small towns about 5 miles in two directions that have grocery stores and Benton Ky at 10 miles that has a Walmart. 

The fishing on the lake is very good, I like to troll a spoon when under sail. Weekends get a little busy sometimes, but the lake is so big its never a problem. During week days sometimes it feels like the lake is all yours.

There is some barge traffic, but not much, and its always on the east side of the lake in the 60 foot channel. Maybe one or two a day but not much.

The lake is very clean, right now its a bit murky from spring rains.

I wont have internet service Sunday from 8 am till Monday sometime but if you have any other questions I can try to help you after that.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Jim I mostly use the top end of the lake, say the first 12 to 15 miles from the dam. The east side of the lake has the deeper anchorages for my draft. The east side of the lake is also know as  Land between the lakes rec area. There are many lakeside camp grounds along this side. The west side has much shallower water, I haven't use this side since 2011 when I sold my Belhaven because of my draft.

As for overnighting on your boat at anchor other than an anchor light I don't know of any regulations.

You can order a fishing map of the lake from one of the web sites and get the name and location of each bay along with the water depth. 

Hope this helps.

Scott