Mast strap material - what to use!

styge

This should be easy for those that have already experimented. I'm curious as to the best material to use for the mast strap used to anchor the sprits. Also, I'm concerned about whether this strap slips on the mast during tacks as the load is lessened as one comes about! I have run through various alternatives in my head that all consist of something more solid and substantail, (hardly suprising given my choice of construction material!) But the strap seems ludicrously simple! So inot is what I'm craving, guys! Help me out!

Styge

Tin Bin's daddy.

Styge,

I presume you are talking about the snotter attachment to the mast. The simplest method is a rolling hitch around the mast, as you plan to use a track you need an eye on the forward side of the mast. We usually rivet a Harken 073 eye strap to the mast. As you are a skilled aluminum welder why not weld on an eye? Look up Gordy Hill's post on his snotter and convert it to aluminum.

I'm showing my lack of this rig type now, Graham, but doesn't the anchor point become lower down on the mast when the sail is reefed. If so, I would want two loops, right? So, as to move it down to the lower position when reefed. I just need some clarification on this!

Thanks in advance

Styge

Guest Anonymous

Because you are using sail track and a halyard you will use normal mainsail reefing (jiffy/slab) so the sprit will stay in the same place.

I have discussed this in earlier posts.