CS 20 PROGRESS

After a few weeks of no news...

http://homepage.mac.com/blackburns/PhotoAlbum40.html

Have faired the hull after putting on the dynel. This has come up really well. There was a couple of slight flat spots, one at the bulkhead, but really very small and another one on one of the scarfs. But all look fine now.

Have been umming and arring over the coaming. Think we will have about 10mm along the sides and then increase to about 30mm at the front of the cockpit. Have added a lot more under deck timber than the plans suggest as I can see you sitting up there and cruising along...

Also fitted up the hardwood caps etc on the centreboard case. This is going to look terrific.

I must admit to one disappointment though. My mate who sells the aluminium mast tubes suggested I get the cuffs and collars machined from nylon instead of making them from epoxy as per the plan. Not getting a quote up front except for the remark, " that should be easy" it cost me about as much as the masts.... My thinking was that it would be a nicer fit and that I would not damage the anodising by scratching it when I was sanding back the epoxy. What would have saved all this was wrapping the mast with tape near the epoxy bandage... and then the sanding couldn't damage it. Like I said. Boat building is not my day job.

Expensive mistake and I guess once again the plans tell the story.

Planning a small rope locker in the bow to drain into the same hole as the mast tube. Can't see an anchor fitting in there so shall just have to clip it on and off I think.

So other than that all is going well. Sitting in the boat with my daughter it is hard not to get excited. It looks the perfect size for what we want.

Until next time.

Cheers guys

Rob Blackburn

Guest Anonymous

Greg, funny you should mention it.... Each year there is an expedition up to Fraser Island by a group of guys locally in a 20 foot Salar Dory. This is a timber boat owned by a mate across the road and there is 8-10 days of sailing, fishing and worrying about what is for dinner.

We are going. It is our prime deadline. Sea trials and launching are all in anticipation of this.

Fraser Island is the largest sand island in the world we were told at school and the inside is a large bay where Humpback whales migrate to from Antarctica to calve.

It is all World Heritage/National Park and is really very pretty. Despite it being close to Brisbane (5 hours) it is still very pristine on the west side. It is assaulted by tourists on the east side.

Have put a couple of piccies off Google here for you to see. The one called Wathumba is where we are going. It is an inlet in the northwest side of the bay and is where a freshwater creek exits into the bay.

Rob