Jump to content

Adventures in Amsteel

Don Silsbe

Recommended Posts

I broke down and shelled out $21 for a Ronstan D-Splicer.  What an awesome tool!  So, I sort of went nuts with it, and changed my snotter setup.  I also changed parts of my mizzen sheet system.  Let me preface this post with my rigging philosophy.  Local Honey wants to be rigged quickly.  When I get to the launch site, I want to go sailing, not fiddle with stuff in the parking lot.  The rig needs to be simple, but effective.  This is why I don’t have reef points in my sail, but furl them on the masts.  It is fast and easy.  Also, I want the boat to be clean.  No (almost no) hardware left on the boat when I’m not sailing.  She is also a fishing boat.  That in mind, here’s what I did.



Did I tell you that I love Ronstan’s Shock Blocks? They are slick— literally!  They work especially well with slippery Amsteel.  I am also fond if lashing blocks.


For the past four years, I have attached the mainsheet blocks to the transom with a  ball system Iearned from my Wayfarer days.  But then, I saw this slick new system on a website named geaufast.com.  I couldn’t afford their dog bones ($18 each!), so I made my own with aluminum rod and shrink tubing.  It’s a cleaner look, and now Local Honey has no balls!  (I didn’t change the starboard side, so you could compare the old to the new.)








  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Supporting Members

Supporting Members can create Clubs, photo Galleries, don't see ads and make messing-about.com possible! Become a Supporting Member - only $12 for the next year. Pay by PayPal or credit card.

  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.