Native Longshot Launch

Welsh4life

I had a BLAST making my Longshot.  I tried to replicate the native seal skin and stitching of the Greenland style of kayak.  The longshot rides so smooth I love the design.  It was a fun winter project.  I started after Christmas and slowly made my way through the project.  I expected some leaking but it held tight, not a drop. I paddled for an hour with a big smile on my face.  Thank you forum and Jeff for a FUN project that I'm super proud of

IMG_3454.jpg

IMG_6853.jpg

IMG_3459.jpg

IMG_6860.jpg

IMG_6861.jpg

IMG_3451.jpg

Welsh4life:

Very cool boat! So you need to share with us 1) How you did the faux stitching and shading, 2) how you constructed the coaming and thigh braces, and 3) do the thigh braces work well? They look to be a bit high. By contrast, I tuck my knees under and to the outside of the coaming. In the photo below, you can see the dirty knee print.

1923164758_raveninterior.thumb.JPG.c4e2e89fa006239161528118da18f204.JPG

Thanks!  I taped off sections of the kayak and sponge painted almond and brown Rustoleum.  The stitches are black sharpie.  I saw on one of Kudzu's pages how the coaming could be cut with thigh braces.  I sat on the floor, put the paper template around me, and sized it right up.  It really works well with the thigh braces.  Love how you've worn spots on your kayak.  The thigh braces are a bit high, but they do work.  Happy paddling!

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old post, but I still wanted to say NICE JOB Andy.
The faux stitching reminded me of the Inuit sof covered with hide. Even when oiled, my work shoes soak up water from wet grass and get heavy. How much more weight an sof must have been at risk of gaining.  Piecing available hides together would have been an art. 
I have read that in an Inuit village there was the expert kayak builder and expert kayaker, not the same person. Maybe there wasn’t enough time in the day for being a master of both. 

Thanks Jeff for sharing your passion and making it possible for us to get a taste of both.