FREE BOAT OR NOT? 22' PRINCESS SHARPIE

Shayski

Im new to the forum, and for a good reason I would say. Currently im building a 21' gaff rigged 3 berth sailboat. Im in the early stage of the build just finishing the frames and almost ready to start planking the hull. Now this boat is a very detailed boat and not your standard build, mostly its all built from veneers and building jigs for most parts which also have to all be lofted out. SO its very detailed and time consuming but beautiful when finished. Its all being done in African mahogany.                                                                                                                                                                                                                      I was searching for some lead for my keel and I put an ad in a local advertisement about it, well I ended up getting a phone call from a gentleman who said that he had a partially built boat that had some lead in it and I could have the lead if I took the boat. So today I went to look at the boat and it turned out that it was a Princess Sharpie 22', that a friend of the man that contacted me had started to build and after completing roughly half of it he decided that at nearly 80 yrs. old that he was getting to old to finish it. SO he gave it to his friend who also decided he didn't have the time to finish the project.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           And so thats where I come in, the ironic thing about this, is that when I was about to start my build I was going back and forth between the boat I eventually picked and a B and B sailboat, I believe it was one of the Core series boats. I eventually decided to go with the boat I did because of the difference in the sail plans, I wasn't familiar with the cat set up but was with a gaff rig, but now I find myself back in the same situation, ha ha!  Now I would hate to see this boat not get finished and all this work go to waste,  and it really wouldn't take that much to finish the boat and it wouldn't be very expensive either. The reason im posting this, is because maybe theres some people on here that have experience with this boat and could give me some input. I can't seem to find too much on website or internet and would love to know more about the layout and how the boat handles and anything  else anyone  wants to ad. THANKS

The Princess Sharpie is a predecessor to the Core Sound line.  But there are similarities in the designs, I believe.  I have never owned one, but have a friend who did.  I’ll nudge him to share his thoughts.  I do own a Bay River Skiff 15, however, and can comment on the rig.  This boat was my first experience with a cat ketch, leg-o-mutton rig, and I love it.  It is a more efficient sail shape, I believe.  Making a gybe manuver is effortless and worry-free. Heaving-to is simple— I do it all the time when sailing solo, and need to tend to something away from the tiller.  And my wife loves not having to duck for a boom or tend to trimming the jib.  (The sails are self-tending, with controls leading to the skipper.) Yes, I love this rig.

A28FA3C4-0AA8-4F15-86CD-8C6DF02CCBD7.jpeg

8B97136C-18E1-4EE0-B9AF-928A3A803950.jpeg

• Like 2

I'm the friend that Thrillsbe mentioned. I built the prototype of the princess 22. The boat, Princess, pictured in many of the pictures on the B&B website was mine. I'd be glad to talk with you about it. You could call me at 828-595-9432. I go by "Chick".

Here it is: https://bandbyachtdesigns.com/princess-22-plans

• Like 1

First off, congrats or becoming an owner of a B&B Yacht Designs Princess. It sounds like you were able to procure this beauty for free or nearly free, so you got a HUGE bargain even if it is only half built. If you really want to finish the boat, but can't find out much about it,  why don't you just buy the plans from Graham's Company?  A sure fire way to be able to figure out exactly where to go from where the elderly gentleman left off. Poor guy must have been heartbroken to have not been able to finish her. It took my husband and myself almost 5 (part time) working years to get our Princess 26 nearly finished, but she's a beaut, and we can't wait to sail her! Good luck to you!

2019 328 Oct.JPG

• 2 months later...

I have a Princess 22 and love it.  I wonder how many have been completed?

It sails wonderful and is very easy to rig.  With the 400lbs of ballast and hard chines the boat will take a puff heal a little and keep on moving.  The really well in the chop that I have been on in the St. Johns river, Cedar key and Indian river FL.

The cockpit is nice but the seats could be higher...  I'm 6'.

The sprits will need to be longer and raised higher then what the plans say.  Once you have your sails you can get a better idea where the eyes need to be on the mast.  Mine still need to be raised.

The cabin is nice and roomy.  When I find the time I plan on changing the stock interior setup.  Going to make it a v birth in the front and a pipe berth on one side.

Make sure you use butyle or dolphinite between the lead and wood keel.

You may want to change the cockpit sides front step or what ever it is.  It has been a source of a leak and rot on my boat.

How far along is your boat?

Regards,

image.thumb.png.9c0e7416e37e82decbddda0a15a16cd1.pngNiels

image.thumb.png.ffe84d5a8bc27e11fa364ee7a72157e4.png

7 hours ago, jaxsailr said:

The cockpit is nice but the seats could be higher...  I'm 6'.

The sprits will need to be longer and raised higher then what the plans say.  Once you have your sails you can get a better idea where the eyes need to be on the mast.  Mine still need to be raised.

Make sure you use butyle or dolphinite between the lead and wood keel.

You may want to change the cockpit sides front step or what ever it is.  It has been a source of a leak and rot on my boat.

If you made the cockpit seats higher, you would fall out of the boat.

What makes you think the snotter block on the mast isn't located properly?

Both products you name have applications. I would use neither in that application. Polyurethane adhesives bond so much better, Dolfinite doesn't bond at all.

If your boat is leaking and rotting it is not the design, but the builder.

14 hours ago, Hirilonde said:

If you made the cockpit seats higher, you would fall out of the boat.

What makes you think the snotter block on the mast isn't located properly?

Both products you name have applications. I would use neither in that application. Polyurethane adhesives bond so much better, Dolfinite doesn't bond at all.

If your boat is leaking and rotting it is not the design, but the builder.

There is plenty of room to add height without any worry of falling out.

The sprint is no pulling the main at the bottom and not the in mid to upper part of the sail.  Looking at other B&B boats the sprint is usually at more of an angle.  Mine is almost flat.

Yeah my concern is later if I need to repair the keel it will be a pain to remove the lead.  The lead is held on to the boat with bolts.

Yes, the builder could of glassed it all together.  But it's something to make a builder aware of.  It looks like chick and maybe others omitted the little step.

It's a great design and now that there are some built and sailing it's good to evolve it to resolve potential issues for further builders.

Are you the builder of Pilgram?

Actually, I built the prototype and made the interior the way I wanted it. Graham designed the hull and panel layouts, but only had plan and profile drawing of the rest. i built the deck and cabin "by eye". Then he came over, took pictures, and measured it to do the final drawings, changing things he thought would make it better.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jaxsailr said:

The sprint is no pulling the main at the bottom and not the in mid to upper part of the sail.  Looking at other B&B boats the sprint is usually at more of an angle.  Mine is almost flat.

Yeah my concern is later if I need to repair the keel it will be a pain to remove the lead.  The lead is held on to the boat with bolts.

Are you the builder of Pilgram?

If the foot of the sail does not tighten when the snotter is, then the problem is that the mast block is too high. If the leach is loose and and the snotter is tight then the mast block is too low which is what I think you describe.  If both the foot and leach are loose, then the only cause I can think of is that the snotter isn't tightened at all or there is another issue yet revealed.

When it comes you removing things, there is no bigger fan of preparing for it than me. When it comes to attaching lead ballast however, I don't think it is humanly possible to attach it too well. The most likely time for it coming off is dangerous.

No, I did not build Pilgrim.

edit:  Hmm, you are saying your sprits might be too short in another thread.  Sprits too short and snotter not tight have exactly the same result.

On 6/6/2020 at 11:05 AM, Hirilonde said:

If the foot of the sail does not tighten when the snotter is, then the problem is that the mast block is too high. If the leach is loose and and the snotter is tight then the mast block is too low which is what I think you describe.  If both the foot and leach are loose, then the only cause I can think of is that the snotter isn't tightened at all or there is another issue yet revealed.

When it comes you removing things, there is no bigger fan of preparing for it than me. When it comes to attaching lead ballast however, I don't think it is humanly possible to attach it too well. The most likely time for it coming off is dangerous.

No, I did not build Pilgrim.

edit:  Hmm, you are saying your sprits might be too short in another thread.  Sprits too short and snotter not tight have exactly the same result.

You are correct the sprint is low and not long enough to flatten the sail as needed.  Especially under full main.

I agreed the keel coming loose would be a bad thing. 

• Like 1