Everglades Challenge 2020

Joe Anderson

I have Great admiration for anyone who would set off on a Watertribe event.  You have to be brave just to start. 

Getting into a boat, takes upper body strength, and that takes fitness. Even the best ladder, in a cold rough sea, would be a challenge. 

Retracting the centerboard  once heaved to can settle the boat. The board may have been up on purpose. 

Kindest Regards

• Like 1

Beautiful video. Very poignant. Is it true that all of the video and photos were done before you knew that Jim Slauson was gone or even in trouble? Also just watching the tracker it seemed like you and Paul stopped more on this trip is that true?

Lovely shots of you and Paul at Cape Sable? Usually I think of your race as more frantic without time for reflective walks on the beach.

Is that just the power of editing?

Joe, 

We first heard the Jim was being closely monitored when we arrived at Checkpoint 2 we didn't get any more info than that until Checkpoint 3 when I think we heard that the CG was searching. Also we heard that no one had heard from Ron and Mike (SwampMonkee and Chainsaw) who are very experienced and on a Tornado Cat so it was strange that they hadn't checked in and I was actually more worried about them for a time since they had no cabin and I imagined their boat flipped, broke and all gear inoperable. 

Yeah, we did stop more than other years for sleep but in each case for good reason. In total we stopped and anchored for sleep 3 times. Off Sanibel on night 1 for about 4 hours I think. Then just outside of CP2 for about 10 hours (boy that was nice). And finally on middle cape with Greybeard and ChefRamen (as seen in the pics) for about 4 hours. 

That was great Alan. So I guess I just did not realize how human you racers are. You have to employ strategies to keep yourself in the race.    Such as:

Do not linger near a take out lest you be tempted to drop out.

Anchor far enough away from a good restaurant ( Havana Cafe at Chokoloskee) so you are not tempted but close enough so you have a decent internet.

Seriously it was fun to follow along with you on the course and have some insight into how you make decisions and plan routes.