Everglades Challenge 2020

Joe Anderson

Alan called a while ago and said that there had been a weather hold. The wind was fresh from the NE and that was a small craft advisory for 3 miles offshore. Alan and some of the boats have now started.

Crews that did not feel comfortable with the conditions could trailer their boats to the other side of the bay. Check point 1 is now optional which will save the offshore boats having to mess with Stump Pass.

B&B has 5 boats which includes 3 CS17 mk3's , Dawn Patrol and Southern Skimmer.  There is also a trimaran that Alan designed not ling after joining B&B called Sponge Bob.

The fresh NE winds are expected to turn to hard east winds just in time for the fast boats having to cross the Florida Bay. It is living up to it's challenge name.

I have been watching the http://Watertribe.com  

It looks like most of the fleet has make rapid progress down the coast. The big cats seem to be out in front. Ralph Coles and Randy Smyth in their Nacra C20  have left Flamingo and are heading around Florida Bay.

I spotted Alan and Paul on the tracker map south of Naples. They were just behind Dawn Patrol. What is with that?  Alan must have taught his CS 20 well.

Alan always ducks in at Marco. With the winds just north of east, Alan will have a close reach to Indian cay and Dawn Patrol will have to tack. I see that Alan stopped at Sanabel last night for a while. It is good to see DP doing so well for his first try. Michael (Grey beard) is doing very well in the 17 mk3

Alan reached Chokoloskee about an hour and a half in front of Dawn Patrol.  He and Paul are heading out Rabbit Key Pass with the last of the tide. Dawn Patrol is still at Chokoloskee. If they miss the tide and daylight will they just stay at Choko?

I could see Greybeard aka Michael Collins in his CS17mk3 back at Marco.

Looks like the wind stays out of the East.

Alan spent the night near Rabbit Key and is heading for the Cape. A lot of boats are dropping out due to the strong easterlies gusting in the low 30's. Graybeard is leading our group and id hugging the shore where the seas are a lot flatter and is off Ponce de Leon inlet heading for Cape Sable.

I am a bit concerned with Sailorman in a 17mk3 solo. He appears to be hove-to and has been drifting SW. He pressed his OK button at 7:24 this morning. This is not a good place to be as he is long way offshore where it is very rough and it is hard to get back east in that seaway. On my older Spot, if you press the OK button you have to reactivate your track. He may not realize this as his last three signals have been OK.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Designer said:

Alan spent the night near Rabbit Key and is heading for the Cape. A lot of boats are dropping out due to the strong easterlies gusting in the low 30's. Graybeard is leading our group and id hugging the shore where the seas are a lot flatter and is off Ponce de Leon inlet heading for Cape Sable.

I am a bit concerned with Sailorman in a 17mk3 solo. He appears to be hove-to and has been drifting SW. He pressed his OK button at 7:24 this morning. This is not a good place to be as he is long way offshore where it is very rough and it is hard to get back east in that seaway. On my older Spot, if you press the OK button you have to reactivate your track. He may not realize this as his last three signals have been OK.

Yes, hopefully Sailorman is okay!

• Like 1

The Watertribe tracker has been down for awhile. There is an alternative site Raceowl that shows Alan and Paul crossing Florida Bay. Greybeard in the bright yellow CS17mk3 has been at Cape Sable for awhile. I can not find a position for Dawn Patrol. What has happened to Sailorman is a bit of mystery. He seemed to be drifting for several hours and now his tracking device has not updated for 25 hours. I believe the CG was called and initiated a search but I do not know the status. I hope everyone is safe out there.

• Like 1