CS17 Keel questions

Tgabe

We recommend Douglas fir or pine for the keel. I would definitely coat it in epoxy but not fiberglass. The keel is bound to get scraped up and then the glass will make it a nightmare to repair. This was certainly the case when I refinished our CS-20. The glass was just totally useless. This keel was doug fir and held up well for 10 years despite scrapes and cuts etc. I did not replace it just cleaned it up, filled in some spots and re-coated it.  

bCrQiaE736grsRFv_ps4WCI8Hvtl_Yqa_ugVYDFP

• 3 months later...

We have used many options for the keel but now we use 3/4" stainless steel hollow back because it is the cheapest and it is pre-drilled. Most of the keel wear is at the front and back and in between, in other words cover it all. On Carlita I ran 1/2" from in front of the keel to the bow eye to prevent chafe against the bow chock and and bumping the back of the trailer. I am really glad that I did.

Because the hollow back is hollow, you need to plane the corners off of the keel so that it has more bearing and put it down in thickened epoxy. 

• 2 weeks later...

On the subject of  ot glassing the centerboard, does that change, when you put a 17# lead tip on it, as is done with the Mark 3’s?  

Regarding using hollowback, what do we do, to prevent the attachment screws from becoming a point of introduction for water?  I’m considering adding this, when I repaint my exterior next winter.