Chick's Tango skiff 12 build

Chick Ludwig

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 8:29 AM, Chick Ludwig said:

i remeber going to a boat race down in Good 'Ol Florida when I was a kidling, and the dealer for Boston Whaler was their and cut a boat in half with a chainsaw, and motored off in the back half.

Wait a minute,, they had engines back when you were a kidling?:P  Hopefully you will be able to use this in your intended use with your camper. Right now most of the public campgrounds are shut down. Maybe they will open up by the time you are ready.

HEY! They DID have engines back then. But they had to figure out how to rig the paddle wheel that the big-ol' steam engine on such a little boat.

I'm afraid I'll be done long before things are normal at the camp grounds. They're also closing down boat ramps, so it will even be hard to try the boat out. Next county up north of us is asking folks to stay home except for certain things---not including boating. I expect Henderson county will do the same. It will be awhile before Miss Debbie is recovered enough from a surgery to be able to lift even half a boat. Or climb in and out of it.

I've already got the plans from the good folks at B&B for my next project, so I won't get bored.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Chick,

I always forget his main forum exists, but I should have known you were building. I think if you would have angled that "cut" a littl forward you could have used just the back part as a pram! Joking aside it looks like a neat design and those aft buoyancy extensions should be really nice for stability. What is the B & B project you are doing next?

Take Care,

Steve

Hi Steve. The aft extensions, called after planes, are intended to help trim the boat correctly to be able to plane with a small motor and balance the boat with the driver sitting on the aft seat. I first saw one of these boats at the wooden boat show at Beaufort probably 20 years ago.

Next project is a Birder 13. No more large boats.

• 2 weeks later...

Kinda bogged down on the build. Used Kirby's primer on the hull and it's drying VERY slowly. Been several days now. I'll try to sand it today. Called Kirby. He said it was probably put on too thick. And it's been cool here in the mountains. 40s at night, 50s-low60s days.

52 minutes ago, Chick Ludwig said:

Kinda bogged down on the build. Used Kirby's primer on the hull and it's drying VERY slowly. Been several days now. I'll try to sand it today. Called Kirby. He said it was probably put on too thick. And it's been cool here in the mountains. 40s at night, 50s-low60s days.

Shaking my head, ain't you learned nuttin with all those builds? :P Oil based interior Kilz, yep, no matter the topcoat. Its like mom's apple pie, tried all those high dollar ones and still can't beat it at 15 plus bucks a gallon. Roll it on and you can multi coat it in a day. And yes you can do this in the winter time too.  Go away and wait two days and then sand it smooth as a newborn baby's butt.

14 minutes ago, ricknriver said:

Thanks for the tip Oyster.  Guessing the Kilz will adhere ok to the epoxy sealer coat & S3 quick fair ok on my Amanda. R

I have personally used it on West System over every one of their fairing products and yes fiberglass cloth and biaxal .  I have used it over awlgrip Awlfair, the two part fairing compound. And of course it works over E Bond Epoxy and have never had a problem with it bonding long term. Of course any blush needs to be removed. But I have applied it for priming under awlgrip paints.  Just let it cure for a week or so and then sand it . One thing to note is that the further down the gallon can that it gets the thicker it gets. SO you may need to thin it a bit with mineral spirits , stirring it in the can really well, which will blend it back to its original viscosity.  It dries really quickly. So applying it outdoors and in any wind does create some lapping .  Of course if anyone has some questions about it, then just try a sample of it on a piece of plywood , replicating the application on the big job.

2 hours ago, Chick Ludwig said:

You think I'd learn. Then, Tiger says use water based Kiltz. ANYTHING is better than this stuff I used. Been a week and still doesn't sand right. I wonder if I can go over it with the kiltz? Whaddaya think?

The only water based paint I have ever used on boats is on commercial boats. And using water based paint on our stuff is some feel good approach for something that is not complicated at all. Many of us use rustoleum or equivalent oil based enamels in lieu of spending big bucks on two part paints and the added work that's really needed to make that type of paint look correct. Unless you use a flattening agent in the two part your prep work needs to be close to perfect. So for 9.99 give or take a few pennies now I can buy one quart of the Rustoleum or equivalent and paint my skiffs and it does what I need and last three to four years without a problem to my eye and soul. Not even Brightside will do that unless you apply many more coats from the start, of course my opinion and observation. If you can't find the right color, then just make it using the smaller pint sized for colorant in the base color of white. That's what I do. Just make sure you keep your formula or make up an extra quart for down the road that matches. That's my story anyway.

FWIW, I use True Value Hardware's equivalent called XO Rust for my topcoats on most all of my personal boats.

Oyster, finally got to sanding yesterday. Hopefully finish today. I don't like the way the Kirby primer sands. It powders as I sand, but clogs the paper in little spots. I'm using 80 grit on my dual action 8-hole finishing sander. Any finer grit totally clogs immediately. It's been two weeks since application, so it surely is as dry as it's gonna get. I think I'll apply the top coat today. I already bought a quart of the Kirby hull and deck paint. I'll see how it goes. It will be roll and tipped.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still here. y'all. Just not done much on the boat. Sanded the primer finally and roll and tipped a coat of paint. Needs another coat but i don't think I have enough paint. Flipped the boat back over and did two coats of poxy. Waiting for that to cure thoroughly before varnishing.

• 4 weeks later...

She looks really sweet Chick like all your builds.  Probably copy your bimini and mount for my Amanda "winter project" in FL, but with addition mounts so I can still row her in calm with top up. W'll be at Lake Lure 14-19 Jun and maybe catch up if you're around then. Rick