Spindrift new New York or New Jersey

Hiya!

Looking to build a Spindrift S11-N and wondering if anybody has one anywhere new New York or New Jersey that I could take a look at? I'm wondering about the size and would love to see how cramped it would be for me (and maybe a friendly passenger) while sailing. I'm a rather tall fellow =] .

Thanks all!

thanks! that does help, actually =]

I need a nesting boat that I can store in my small New York City apartment!

Are there internal seating area diagrams or dimensions for the 11-N that I could look at to sketch something out on some large sheets of paper on the floor and try for size? Maybe I can make a mockup with some masking tape marks or similar!

The nesting version of any of the Spindrifts is less comfortable for sailing than the original. Having opposing side seats makes all the difference. Consider a mod to add removable side seats, a couple others have done so, maybe they will speak up.

Don, the 12 doesn't have a nesting version.

11 hours ago, Hirilonde said:

The nesting version of any of the Spindrifts is less comfortable for sailing than the original. Having opposing side seats makes all the difference. Consider a mod to add removable side seats, a couple others have done so, maybe they will speak up.

Don, the 12 doesn't have a nesting version.

Do you mean extending the trimmed seats at the back so that when the boat is assembled, they become full-length benches? I can imagine how one might set up a shelf and supports to do that, though my seach-fu fails me in looking for examples in the forum. I guess there isn’t much room to do something like that in the bow section?

1 hour ago, Aleksandr Pasechnik said:

Do you mean extending the trimmed seats at the back so that when the boat is assembled, they become full-length benches? I can imagine how one might set up a shelf and supports to do that,

Exactly, like shelves.  And you are correct, they won't work well in the forward section, but then the aft ones should do the trick. If you can build the boat, and you can imagine the shelves, you are well on your way.

In light winds sitting in the bilge works fine.  But as the Spindrift is a tender boat, being able to get one's @$$ out of the bilge to a desirable location for gusts is required some times.

• Like 1

Alan,

I get a kick when I watch it of how boat trim just wasn't going to deter him from perching out on that tiny seat and the smile when he's at the helm.

Ted's a senior in HS now, but this video captures all the good sailing has brought our family. We built the 11N together with the kids doing as much as they could at their young ages. And since Teddy has become an accomplished techy with his own 3-D printer (he's getting a much better one for his 18th birthday the 26th) and the NYS Champ in Nordic Skiing (yes, bragging a bit). This adventure of boat building has been fantastic. I can't thank the folks at B & B and all on this board who have enriched our life.

• 4 weeks later...

I built my Spindrift 10n to fit in a very small space in my garage. It's set up with a modern Laser rig with controls for outhaul, cunningham, main sheet, etc right where they would be on a Laser.

My benches are optimized to be ideal for both sailing and rowing (and motoring too!) I have a hiking strap in the sole and it handles great with two people in a breeze. I designed a modified version of the benches that is easily removable and maintains the look of a continuous line from bow to stern. The aft benches are also symmetrical in the sense that either bench will fit on either side in whatever orientation you place it. It's a little hard to explain but makes rigging fast and easy. I also designed the center rowing bench to perfectly fit in the stern when sailing. It's a very small detail but makes a difference when you have so little space to work with.

The one thing i would (and will) change is the forward benches. Right now they are removable but I plan enclosing them so they have more side flotation when you capsize. The forward flotation chamber is just too small to keep the most of hull out of the water, and when you right the boat is scoops up a lot of water and swamps the boat. In choppy conditions it's too much to remove even with a good sized bucket.

The Spindrift is a great boat and a lot of fun to build.

spindrift.jpg

• Like 2

These are some of the photos I took during the build process. I slightly modified the design of the flotation chambers and benches to be more symmetrical and have a more sweeping line from fore to aft. I also designed a bracket to mount the benches that both hold them in place and allows for a line to tie them in place.

Like I was saying before, I plan on replacing the forward benches with flotation chambers identical in design to the aft bench/chambers to bring up the side flotation level when it's capsized. It'll be a lot closer to the non-nesting version which has flotation along both sides of the hull. The idea of removable bench in the forward section is nice, and it makes stowing all the parts easier, but I want an easier capsize recovery.

I also slightly modified the design of the rowing bench and made it just the right size to stow in the stern while sailing or motoring. It's held in place by two small wooden nubs in the stern, and by the same cord that holds it in place when it's in the rowing position. It's very convenient and pretty much assures that I'll bring it along every time.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_43b9.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_43bb.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_43bd.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_43bf.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4665.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4687.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4695.jpg

• Like 2

I love where this thread has been going. I think I know my next project for when I get settled again back in the US.  Flotation tanks in the bow section and shelf side seats in the aft section. Sailing is the primary purpose of mine now, but were it still a tender I would do this as well.  A sailing tender is the envy of all who watch you come ashore silently and with little effort.

• Like 2