My Aluminum CS17 - The Tin Bin

styge

Hi Everyone.

I'm not sure who, if anyone is interested, as this is something of a departure from the usual building material of choice, but, I have completed, at least the major work, a CS17 in Aluminum. It really didn't take too long. Build time so far is 12hrs of measuring, marking and cutting panels, and about 50hrs of welding, grinding, and cutting even more panels. I did take a few snaps during the process, so if anyone is interested, let me know and I'll post the URL for ofoto where the album of pics is. The project was started mid May, and it was loaded onto the trailer and put to bed in the garage, awaiting paint on July 5th. Anyways, just thought I'd see if there was any interest prior to going into full detail about the construction, or justification for aluminum.

Have a great day.

Styge Smith.

Juneau Alaska.

Hi Styge,

Yes, Please show us pictures of your "Tin Bin" CS17. The design is so clean, so fine, it doesn't really matter what you build it out of (except maybe plastic). :wink: What are you using for centerboard material? Is there any wood at all? How much do you think the hull will weigh when complete? I wonder if there is any difference in performance between the wood hull and the metal one.

Keep us posted on your progress...

Roger

Guest Anonymous

Interesting project since I am from the area that the designer lives in, I would love to see the pictures of it. Did you paint it? And what grade of ALuminum di you use? Have you weighed it yet? MORE

My computer is almost gone, and I can't do the login right now. It won't let me put my name in the username file on the message head.

Oyster

• 3 years later...

Styge,

Funny enough I just posted and asked about an aluminum version of the Core Sound 17. I'm on Vancouver Island, just as bumpy and rocky as Alaska I believe, and I want to use it for the same reason.

I need to learn to weld aluminum.

Beautiful boat.

As for painting the aluminum, your on the right track. I flew my dad's plane for four years with bright aluminum wings. (primered inside). We noticed a little corrosion so then we acid washed, used a scotch brite pad to scour everything and sprayed on the paint. Still sticking after three years although it is hangared. The orbital sander would be faster but of course the material thickness on the wing did not allow that.

The weight of the boat is around 700lbs. So you won't be dragging it up any sandy beaches, but it doesn't sound like that will be a problem. As for building one, it may be easier to get a guy who's been welding, (and in particular, welding boats) for a while. I thought about doing the welding myself, but I figured my finished project should probably not be my practice piece, that gets expensive. It was all I could do to keeps up with my guy. I was cutting and grinding and he was welding, welding, welding!

But it turned out great. If you decide to proceed with it, online metal in seattle is great for souring the aluminum, and they were happy to deliver it to Alaska Marine Lines to get barged up here.

I went with 6065, I think, its a good marine grand and is a little more pliable (which isn't saying much) than other better grade. I have originally thought I would just do the hull and fit out everything inside in wood, but once the project was underway and we had a flow to the build process, it just seemed (at the time) to make sense carrying on in alumnium. The panels were coming together at a rapid rate, and I'm not the patient type, plus every additional panel meant less maintenance. Right now the only wood to be found on the boat is the tiller!

Anyway let me know if you decide to proceed as there are a few things I would have done differently were I to do another one.

Regards

Styge Smith

Juneau, AK