Sign in to follow this  
fpjeepy05

Unicorn Shopping - Ultra Efficient Fishing Boat

I looking to design, have designed, build, buy or restore a boat. The goal is a ultra efficient boat I can fish off. Some requirements... 

• Long and narrow (28-38ft long 50"-72" beam)
  • 40-50hp inboard diesel 
  • Shallow draft (tunnel stern / box keel)

These are my requirements. I have my reasons. If your suggestion is to go wider or go with more power, or that outboards are easier. I have heard these and I appreciate the suggestion, but this is what I want, even if it is a total failure. 

Some designs that I have seen that are close are; Atkins Rescue Minor, Atkins Sergeant Faunce, Robbe Berkings "9m Commuter", Lou Codega's 34 Concept, and Pogo 32 Loxo. I believe Phil Bolger and Nigel Irens also had some designs that are close. 

I'm looking for any other designs that I haven't seen yet. Also I'm intersted in any next steps anyone might be willing to offer. I'm trying to be very budget minded with this project, which is why I would rather buy a used boat. Where do I post a wanted ad? If I had to build, who should I contact to design, keeping cost in mind? Epoxy / Plywood or Aluminum for a proof of concept? 

9m_commuter4_big.jpg

Bolger.jpg

codega.jpg

loxo.jpg

nigel.jpg

rescue.minor.800.shallow.c.jpg

All of these are outboard boats, but you may want to check them out anyway. From Jim Michalak: 1) Brucesboat and 2) Dorado. From the great Phil Bolger: 1) Slicer, 2) Fisherman's Launch, and 3) Sharpshooter. Have fun.