Unicorn Shopping - Ultra Efficient Fishing Boat

fpjeepy05

I looking to design, have designed, build, buy or restore a boat. The goal is a ultra efficient boat I can fish off. Some requirements... 

• Long and narrow (28-38ft long 50"-72" beam)
  • 40-50hp inboard diesel 
  • Shallow draft (tunnel stern / box keel)

These are my requirements. I have my reasons. If your suggestion is to go wider or go with more power, or that outboards are easier. I have heard these and I appreciate the suggestion, but this is what I want, even if it is a total failure. 

Some designs that I have seen that are close are; Atkins Rescue Minor, Atkins Sergeant Faunce, Robbe Berkings "9m Commuter", Lou Codega's 34 Concept, and Pogo 32 Loxo. I believe Phil Bolger and Nigel Irens also had some designs that are close. 

I'm looking for any other designs that I haven't seen yet. Also I'm intersted in any next steps anyone might be willing to offer. I'm trying to be very budget minded with this project, which is why I would rather buy a used boat. Where do I post a wanted ad? If I had to build, who should I contact to design, keeping cost in mind? Epoxy / Plywood or Aluminum for a proof of concept? 

9m_commuter4_big.jpg

Bolger.jpg

codega.jpg

loxo.jpg

nigel.jpg

rescue.minor.800.shallow.c.jpg

• 3 years later...
  • 7 months later...

I use my Rescue Minor for inshore shallow water fishing in North Carolina.  It's thirteen years old and in great shape.  I use it weekly and fish mostly within 5 miles of the dock.. Not a great boat if you want to carry more than 3 people or if you have to travel long distances ( 11 to 12 knot cruise ).

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 11/4/2023 at 8:42 PM, Don Silsbe said:

Check with Graham Byrnes at B&B Yacht designs.  He has been working on a boat like this.  Fuel efficiency is important to him.  I took this photo of him a year ago.  That’s a model he printed of it back then.  He has progressed with the design since then.

IMG_7949.jpeg

IMG_7946.jpeg

I have spoken with Mr. Byrnes in the past. I couldn't convince him to sell me his Outerbanks 20fter. I love that boat. 

The one he is holding looks like a Downeast with a bracket and a box keel... Neat. I'll reach out to him again.

Thanks 

Also I found a boat that I am interested in. It's a 34' skinny downeast looking boat and it was homebuilt. It was supposed to use plans of Howard Chapelle's. I was thinking about ordering his book "Boatbuilding" does anyone have it? Are there plans for a 34ish footer than looks skinny?