Sign in to follow this  
ricknriver

Electric Main/Aux Power

Personally very interested in electric motors for main/auxiliary power and couldn't find a related thread. Thought we may be able to collect information/experiences in their use here.  I experimented with a 12v 55# Minn Kota trolling motor on our CS15 couple of months ago and was happy with the result; ~3-4 mph w/2 aboard on calm creek for about 2 hrs at 1/2-3/4 throttle using 1/3 of a gr 31 AGM. Almost imperceptible motor noise.  Hope to go lithium when prices of good ones go down.  Tried a small Torquedo (1003 I think) a while back but didn't like its "whine" under power.  Going to try the Minn Kota on the 12' Amanda I hope to finish in FL this winter to scout gators and birds.  Your experiences/thoughts/ideas?  Thanks, RickZ

Short of going with a straight inboard engine, which restricts some of the shallow water cruising, thee are trolling motors that's mounted to outboard legs and mounted on trim tabs for sportfishing boats.  This gives you the motor underwater with a controller in hand or mounted to a bracket on deck. This still comes down to battery life.  Of course when using on saltwater there can be some drawbacks when selecting most of the well known trolling motor setups that can be modified for use to push the boat. This may be the cheapest direction. I personally would think about just how many times and hours I will be using it to justify going in the direction of the upper priced ranged units and setup.

If you have time to kill, follow some of these links , which the units can be modified for remote mounts to the transom and removal too.

I don't anything about these units. But I have seen them mentioned in the past on the web. It does look like they do cost a bit more than I would spend for an occasional cruise for bird watching.

Ray electric outboard

When all else fails, contact the owner  here and see what he uses for his inboard setup and charging arrangement.

I recently bought a dandy little electric motor called an EP Carry.  See smallboatsmonthly.com/article/ep-carry . I've tested it on a Sabot and Michael Storer Rowboat and plan to carry it as an auxiliary on the CS17 and perhaps even the Belhaven 19.   It comes with a fancy 14 pound battery that will provide full speed for an hour.  I suspect I could go quite some distance at low speed in calm conditions using the Belhaven house battery bank.  

Too early for a review, but it certainly seems like the real deal.

Randy

Thank you for the info Randy.  Seems like a nice light unit. Be great to see some numbers on boat speed and battery duration when time permits for the 17 & 19. I'm going to try and get some more soon on my CS15. Rick

Correction to my previous post.  EP Cary motor is 14 pounds, battery is 6 pounds.  I tested it on my CS17 and achieved 2.9 knots (sails stowed on mast, 500 lb crew).  Ran for over an hour at full throttle without noticeable drop in speed until the very end.   There is some mechanical motor noise at full speed but it is nothing relative to a gas outboard. 

I'm quite pleased.  I'll get some video once I get a proper motor bracket.