CS17 #58 picture

This was the best picture on the complete roll from a cheap throw-away camera. This shows welding fillets at the transom, sides and bottom.

I am now starting the interior framing/seats and centerboard case.

I did get a better camera so the next batch of pictures might be better...

Roger

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]

• 2 weeks later...

Roger, really looking nice.

I am wondering, when you bought you plans did you get the CD to go with them? If so, is the CD a big help? One more question, do you put fiberglass on the CS boats or do you just epoxy. I have the plans for the Weekender, I am real close to ordering plans for the CS20 or CS17. I think it looks like a boat a person learn to sail in (I have never sailed) and still be a great boat after the initial learning stage. The Weekender looks like a fun boat to build but a little tougher to sail, especially for a beginner.

The Weekender should be an easy boat for a beginner to learn to sail.

It's clubfooted Jib requires little attention and the boat is easy to handle.

Yes, the dory type hull makes it a little tippy if you are moving around a lot. But that is not really a major concern.

My first outing on one was in pretty substantial winds and blowing tops on the 2-3' waves. I didn't feel in the least concerned about safety. We got around the point into calmer water and it was a great afternoon of sailing. My subsequent experiences have proven to me that I would much rather have this boat than any of the smaller open boats that I had in the past. If you are looking for a little more stability, the transom could be widened a little and that would help the cockpit space as well as making it more stable.

Having never experienced the CS boats, I don't have any comments on them other than they are great looking designs.

P Doug,

I am in the final stages of building a CS20. I chose this boat for a number or reasons, but high on the list is I wanted a boat I could handle by myself and still have enough waterline length to deliver speed and handle tall water. I have a little sailing experience, but my opinion is that the CS will be very kind to a new sailor.

I have enjoyed every moment of building this boat. The design is very well thought out and the plans have plenty of detial. Many times I considered alternate ways, but in most cases found that there was good reason to go per the plan. Building is not difficult, but the careful worker can get fancy and still stay within the allowable parameters.

I choose to glass the hull on mine, but from what I have read and heard from others this is a personal choice.

I went with the picture CD, and found it helpful. I went back to those pictures many times...didn't always do things as shown, but found the reference helpful. For a few bucks I think it is a good investment.

Hope this helps your decision process.

Hey, thanks for the great responses you guys. Likes like the real soultion is to build both! Wish I could and just maybe I can someday. The reason I chose the Weekender in the first place is seeing all the ones here in the great northwest I know I could get help if I need it. Either boat would look beautiful out in the puget sound area. Not that far away for me.

P-Doug,

I did in fact buy the CD when I bought the plans. I look at the pictures often and the answer to almost any beginner's building question can be found. I think the plans are complete enough for anyone to build from without the CD. Our Designer is kind enough to answer any question if you just give him a call.

I will be fiberglassing the outside of the hull to help protect the expensive plywood and hopefully help the boat last for 20+ years. As the boat comes together, pride in workmanship creeps in and the next thing you know... your in love with your new boat and spent time just looking at it sitting there, waiting on the installation of another part. You want to protect it, keep it safe from rocks and sunkin' logs...

I have never owned or sailed a cat-ketch rigged boat before but from everything I have read, It is very simple to rig and sail.

Roger