Preparing for Hurricane Dorian

Alan Stewart

Seems like we just did this.

Last year it was a timeout that lasted weeks by the time it was over: prep, the storm, cleanup, reset shop, back to work,...  Plus time mixed in for dealing with other storm effects, checking on family and friends, occasional rest periods, and other stuff. So finishing my boat by this year's Messabout may not happen. Dang.

I am about 99% as ready as I will be. Now we wait. I think I will have an adult beverage ...

Last year: just starting build. Flat panels on base, surge came in garage.

1035924258_prep(10).thumb.png.af68388ea566693716176e12421b4d26.png

226336233_during(20).thumb.png.51e871f0d61d9b012b923d39b1b80914.png

This year I got ready again.

100_0016.thumb.JPG.854f6048e69c0264718167818d712ff6.JPG

Making progress, but it is hard to sand the boat like that. The good news is that the wind has shifted and the threat of surge has passed with no water in the garage this year.

No regrets for prep though. Wisdom from a seaman:

The time for taking all measures for a ship’s safety is while still able to do so. Nothing is more dangerous than for a seaman to be grudging in taking precautions lest they turn out to have been unnecessary. Safety at sea for a thousand years has depended on exactly the opposite philosophy.

--- Admiral Chester W. Nimitz

Alan and Graham -- I hope you have had the same result!

Update:

As far as I know, the B&B shop just regained power about an hour ago. I don't know about power at Graham and Carla's house yet . 

My house in New Bern only lost power for 8 hours the morning of the storm so not too bad.

Our thoughts are with those on Ocracoke island which experienced heavy flooding as the eye passed over and many had their homes flooded and will have to start over from scratch. I spoke to our friend Steve Wilson who lives out there today and he said his house and boat are OK but he thinks he's lost all of his oysters (he runs an oyster farm). 

We just got power back on about half an hour ago. We had no real damage and have almost got everything cleaned up.

I am sorry to hear about Steve's oysters but glad that he and boat are okay. I hear that highway 12, the only road down the Outer Banks suffered some damage.

Speaking of oysters, how did you fare Oyster?

• Like 1