Core Sound 17- how many hours to build?

Mud Doctor

I worked on my 17 over parts of four summers (end of one summer, beginning of the last), since I'm in Wisconsin, don't have a heated shop, and so had to wait for warm weather for the big epoxy work. I was also working full time.  I was going to say a total of 800 hours, but would not quibble with 1200.  This includes the inevitable false starts and backtracking.  This was not my first boat, either.

In addition to the shop time, there was also a lot of time spent away from the shop, tracking down  supplies, paint, fittings, motor, trailer, good clear wood for the dimensional pieces, new tools, etc., etc., etc.  I think B&B has added kits for rigging, etc., that would save some time.  Also, I should add that I bought the pre-cut plywood kit from B&B, a huge time saver that also adds accuracy to the build.  If you're building from scratch (from plans) with your own plywood, figure, what, another 200 hrs?  I strongly recommend the kit.

I'll close by saying this boat gives me great joy.

ujOY-VQ0XvWHOCxdEZnSy0T4JxlYQNhdOyk3WypXA3VmAY-jlCct-qHSLHVv4XQXEhSashtw90FbozfLmqhCMugD_FTSA9MA8sMo9mpQjBjh1Eq55eLF5RvI2lmFQ9bxlxec2gFjrul6zT0J2HkwNmb5tpXJ8FVDyNf-VT-tDTiFAWVC_p0Q5S334OrQwGe_TKvRotdPo0gt1N_hdWUhUfJUtuynGOu-31EBh09g3B72-aLJjHM_dgyekDKJnVKq8F6h3ROTKIv8hcPJ-qpFwcpPQibH-nCqv28Hs1gzaYszdQgw2HDgYZtPrrRfJCy4qLEY-OKDHOVE95-n294ryBs81Y20Q8IaRaVWQh3O2CrYDI_f_xsdwYbYgoXAhc2C7J2TTC-2DEXCG9GP-YdSg1YnFHH6BTg0528hv-Vb5IwsiT_ffxeE6RZ0h7kxJTR3IKRPPZ-2mfpgkHw3zMkJ1dxjMq5MAj3J5Fk_q0eW7M6fYDhHzvbENQR8k2fXQqAlW0C1z_tkQDnm7jqS0vPjoiUPgXqGVo5tgAZQxeKw-QJit7zIiUaAvaIQ6dClbCh2o7nCssbLLlR9xflLJk4MJZO8-9JTRa1bS755qq34aed74qwR4A-KMGZiQAmHLhWwQQERIyZtvULh3WOUpkz2ycCL2luBqQeUUQSIcUkvbRZRoHAKlJngtVQ=w303-h623-no

1 hour ago, Steve W said:

So Graham's estimate of the value of a nice model means they worked for about 10 bucks an hour.

Smile everyone and get back to sanding! ?

They wish. You also have to figure in cost of the kit, epoxy, etc., shop expenses, sails, trailer, rigging. Maybe $1/hr net for labor?

• Like 1

I sat down and estimated what I would have to charge to build a Lapwing for someone.  I used no accounting for space, electricity etc., just materials, supplies and gear, and half reasonable hourly rate as the pricing method.  Fully ready to go, rigged, painted, trailer, sails, oars,  I would need to get $35,000 minimum. I figure a real business would have to get much more.

This is why I say you have to enjoy the build as much and the anticipated joy of ending up with a boat.  

When I was in business my accountant told me there are 2 ways to calculate price.

1. All direct costs, a share of indirect costs, profit = price

2. What the market will bear = price

You want to charge the higher of the two, but will only get what the market will bear.

When I built my CS17, over 10 years ago now, I got into the habit of keeping a rough tally of boatbuilding hours. At launch it was just under 500 hours but could have been 20% more. This was only time actually building/sanding etc. I didn't include any time for planning/getting materials/sharpening tools etc. Also I knew I wasn't planning on a mirror finish. It was my 5th build so I was practiced.

I planned the timing of the build to maximize efficiency in my small garage (only 19 ft long and not so wide) by building all the small stuff first - rudder /tiller/centreboard/masts etc.

If you want a mirror finish then add hundreds more hours.

10 years down the track with a few dings and paint touch ups I'm glad I didn't bother.

Ps No kits back then.

HTH

Cheers

Peter HK

• Like 1

I'd like to gently suggest that the number of hours spent might not really matter if you enjoy the building. In fact, hours spent in the shop might even go on the reward side of your personal accounting.  As for me, I loved building my CS15, I'm immensely proud of the accomplishment, and I'm really enjoying sailing it.   Triple win!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m with Meester.  I enjoy the process.  I will add that it took me 15 months to build my BRS15.  Please note that many days I only worked 4-6 hours on it.  I was also repeatedly interrupted by “life”.  But such is life.

This winter, I decided to build a Two Paw 8.  I figured it would only take a couple of months.  Between laziness and “life”, it took six months.  But I enjoyed the process, and wasn’t looking to save money by building it myself.  It was fun to build, and I now have a sweet nesting boat.

AC8AEDDD-0910-4C02-8BE5-A2C2951AEC7E.jpeg

B861F263-80DE-48DC-BE57-F0EDBD1712B0.jpeg

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I’m hoping to soon pick up the available kits I ordered from Alan at B&B Yachts for a Core Sound 15. Becoming retired at the end of 2019, I now have available time and hope to be quite devoted to the build. It is perhaps way too optimistic to expect having a “functioning” boat by the time of “gramma-camp” (with the grandkids) in August 2020.  But, I will give it a shot. And, as Alan suggested in an email update, the rigging, mast, and sails might not be complete, but rowing or motoring around (with the grandkids) in a new hull will be quite satisfying... for now.

I’ll see how things are as we approach the end of July.
?

• 3 months later...

So, how did the build go?  The CS15 from a complete kit took 50 days over three months. Days averaged perhaps 6-8 hours... so maybe around 350 hours. I’m still waiting for the sails to be made.  I think COVID is causing the delay.

Taking the boat on July 23 to the local landing to motor it around. 
3C60B2C5-8C21-420F-9BB6-7BC8BCCCEF12.jpeg.c181be81d353c0286a5b7ee862490b44.jpeg

B05C6FF8-D098-4C6B-8C50-F2B2F97BB5F6.jpeg.43b32472024ddc5da821388966020bda.jpeg