Comedy relief

acreew

Pulled into busy boat ramp ... deep water .... rushing ... forgot to raise centerboard... cranked as hard as I could and eventually the boat came on, unfortunately without the center board in one piece. The result is what you see in the pictures below. On the positive side there was no other damage other than the top splitting off of the Center board, amazing if this was planned for/designed for in advance. Idiots like myself are very thankful if that is the case. Anyway, no other damage can be detected. All rigging for the center board is exactly as it was.

I intend to simply epoxy the top of the centerboard back on. Would appreciate any suggestions or insights On how to make this a secure/ lasting repair.

thank you,

will

2E08099C-DC4D-4583-BACE-94BFC7AA0DD8.jpeg

775921B5-273B-4003-9EAB-EF9C7C8B939F.jpeg

Thank you for the replies. One thought.....would the addition of floating tenons make the joint so strong that it would not fail in the same way as this time. Specifically and unfortunately, this may happen again....as it worked out...the localized damage to the centerboard was a nice surprise. Would not want to make damage to another part of the boat (e.g., centerboard case, etc.) more likely with an overzealous repair. Are these concerns realistic?

Thank you again,

Will

I attached a sign to the trailer winch post to "Raise the c/b" on Summer Breeze to be sure that it was raised before launching. I always let the board down against a support on the trailer to take the strain off the lifting pennant when trailering. Actually, I copied this idea from the Master --- Graham.

I have the auto-release cleats on both the CB and rudder on my CS15.  Going aground is no big deal. There's a "click," I recleat the CB half-down and head for deeper water.  The auto-release cleat would also forgive the unraised CB mistake and nobody would notice.

Belt and suspenders:  floating tenon inside and fiberglass on the outside.  Go for a strong joint.  I think KevinB's point about capsize recovery is a good one.

16 hours ago, meester said:

I have the auto-release cleats on both the CB and rudder on my CS15.  Going aground is no big deal. There's a "click," I recleat the CB half-down and head for deeper water.  The auto-release cleat would also forgive the unraised CB mistake and nobody would notice.

Me too.  I run aground in the salt pond/marsh I sail in all the time and they work well. (inlaid epoxy rope trick as well)  Never had one trip hauling out, but it would.  If I capsize the board will be down.  KISS.