Upgrading the Trailer

Brent

I bought a heavy duty single axle painted steel trailer for my CS20. The trailer is an older model, but in good condition. The price was right.

I am thinking I want to sand blast and paint the trailer with interlux to match the boat. Anybody been there done that and have some advice for do's and dont's.

The trailer does not have bearing buddies. The axle nuts are protected by a large chrome cap that leaves plenty of air space around the hub. This design I am sure worked great for many years before bearing buddies became common place. Any advice for maintianing these? Upgrading to bearing buddies will require replacement of the hubs, and I am not sure if the spindles can handle the inner seal requried for bearing buddies; again any word of advice? How can I determine if the spindles can stay or if they have to go? What is required to keep this kind of hub in good running condition, even in occasional salt water exposure?

Belay that last question. After finding the bearing buddy web site, it looks like I can get an inner seal from bearing buddy, and then the spring loaded bearing buddy itself gets installed with a wack from a hammer (assuming one starts with the right size device). How hard is that!

Brent - I've had pretty good luck with bearing buddies on three different boat trailers. One was a fairly heavy 18' fibreglass sloop. The other two were on small outboard rigs. They were all used almost exclusively in salt water and the axles always went under. I don't remember ever losing any bearings. I did keep them pumped up before and after launches, though.

I just made a deal on a used galvanized trailer that has been stripped down. I'm going to use it for the Princess 22 that Charlie Jones is building for me. I don't know what shape the bearings or spindles are in, until I check them out. If they are OK, I'll probably use Buddy Bearings; if not, I'll order Spindle Lube axles and new hubs from www.championtrailers.com.

The trailer ought to be an easy re-fit for the Princess since she has a long, straight keel and only about an eight to ten inch rise from keel to chine. A good sturdy 2 x something down the middle with a couple of bunk boards should hold her, along with goal posts to line her up on the trailer, maybe aother shorter set forward.

I got a good deal on the trailer, so can spend several hundred dollars on it and still come out way ahead of the game.

On, Sail On!

Travis Votaw