halyard direction through mast block

tfrei

This is probably a stupid question, but which way should the halyard be run throught the block at the top of the mast?  

A. Shackle  attached to the head of the sail runs on the inside of the block--closest to the mast.

B. Shackle attached on the head of the sail runs on the outside of the block --away from the mast.

I've been having a some trouble with binding so maybe I'm creating tension somewhere.  Up to now, I've had the halyard shackle  go on the outside ---away from the mast.

I don't use a shackle, I tie a bowline each time. But I use the end away from the mast to tie to the head of the sail. This keeps the halyard close against the mast in use.

When you say you have binding, do you mean excess halyard tension trying to raise the sail?  That is often the cars or lugs on the luff of the sail binding

Sorry to be late.  I had to get to the boat and see what I'd settled on since I've tried it both ways.  I'm attaching the sail on the outside of the sheave, hauling down on the inside next to the mast.  So that's what trial and error showed me worked best.  Also, like Hirilonde, I just tie a bowline, no shackles.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...